How long do they need to be in their run?

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Hello everyone!

I had 12 free range hens and have kept them for about 5 months with no problems. Unfortunately I recently lost 2 to an unknown predator. Me and My dad quickly built a run and we have the rest of our chickens locked up. How long will it be until it is safe to let them free range again? Are there any guard animals that you would recommend? (Beside dogs, that won’t work for us) I would like to let them free range again as soon as it is safe to do so. Thank you so much for any help!

A lot depends upon the type of predator. Most mammalian predators have a home range that they periodically travel. When they find a food source, they will stay in an area. When that ends, they move on, but eventually they will be back. Raptors are more fluid unless nesting. I would start with mid day supervised free ranging for your flock. Good luck.

at least a week. and even then, the run will only be effective if it's fully predator proof.

use 1/2" hardware cloth, put a roof on it, and create an 18-24" anti-dig apron.

when you put them back out, you have to accept that you will have losses with free ranging.

How long will it be until it is safe to let them free range again?

Honestly, chickens are never safe while free ranging. There's always a hungry predator out there that would love to have chicken for dinner.
If a dog isn't going to work for you then your choices and results are limited in an effective guard animal. Geese and guineas will raise a ruckus, so they are often good as an alarm system, but not so much for actual protection.
Your best bet for repelling predators in an open area is an electric fence.

Back
Top Bottom