how long do they stay in the bator after they hatch???

ninnyeggs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 21, 2011
its the morning of day 21 and i woke up to the very pleasent surprise of a splash silkie and its about half dry and the other eggs have no piping and are getting rolled around by the already hatched silkie. how long should they stay in the bator after they hatch???

Different strokes for different folks... I personally take them out when they hatch and their shells and put them in a nice warm brooder. I keep the brooder between 95 and 99 degrees.

as soon as i see their butts fluffy i put them in the tub brooder so they won't toss and turn the non hatched eggs all around but your really suppose to leave them in for a whole day to complete dry but if you have like 5 or more they will dry quicker all snuggled up to their siblings mine are half dry and half wet when i put them in with the rest of the chicks but they are dry and warm in no time

Last edited:
I would recommend not removing them until the 23 day. You want to give the unpiped eggs a chance and opening the incubator to remove chicks can be a death sentence to unhatched eggs. I recently observed that when I opened the incubator for less than one minute there was a 4 degree drop in temperature and a more critical drop of 10% in humidity.

oh my gosh its not a silkie it has pink feet! what did that guy send me??? ugh

I don't think a broody worries about lock down temp and humidity. Yes there is some loss when you open up the incubator or hatcher but mine recovers rather quickly.
Here are some of the chicks from my last hatch.
Picture1107.jpg

Back
Top Bottom