How long do we keep chicks with heat?

funnily enough, my mother in laws broody hen has just hatched out 2 chicks. Watching them wondering round the garden at only a week old was rather suprising to see.
Thank you for your help, I’ll give it a go and see how they get on.
And thank you, I’ve already become a little addicted to byc only been on here about 3 days, haha.

I gradually take the heat lamp off,just snatching it away is kinda stressful since the red warming lights been there literally since day one.After about four weeks I turn it off during the day and usually take them outside or if it is raining or cool out I just turn on indoor lights and they can play and etc.At night the heat lamps on.During the warmest part of day the heat lamps off,usually twelve to six or so.I do this for a week or so,with no issues.Then come the coop where they usually freak out because it’s completely pitch black.

I would just keep a reg. 15 or20watt bulb on for them so they have a warm area. When they have feathers we usually wean them from heat, it also depends on how many chickens you have 5 or more I wouldn't be to concerned just leave the light on for them.

They are 6 weeks old, almost fully feathered. And they are in our brick outhouse. It’s not actually heated in there although, it’s warmer than a garage or shed.
They are in a chicken arc at the moment they’ve outgrown the brooder. They are partially covered over throughout the night and have a heat lamp on through the cooler parts of the day and all night.
We’ve not had them from hatch... we rehomed them when they were 4 weeks old. And have no experience in chick- we have fully grown chickens ( but obviously they are completely different)
I’ve noticed the last few mornings I’ve gone out to them that they aren’t under the heat at all. And they are rarely under it throughout the day when it’s on too. So unsure whether they actually still need it on?
I think they're telling you that they don't need it.

Back
Top Bottom