How long do you keep eggs in the frig?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by momofchicks, Aug 21, 2008.

1. momofchicks

momofchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    Kentucky
    And how long can they sit out on the counter? I bought eggs today from the grocery store and the use by date is 2 weeks out, so that tells me, my fresh eggs are good at least 3 weeks right? (I bought some, because I only have one hen laying right now.)

Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
  2. 65browneyes

65browneyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Arizona
    I read/heard/saw once that eggs from the store can be as much as a month old before we even buy them. I've never verified that, but haven't worried about my fresh eggs being good for a while. Course, after my friends found I have fresh eggs, I can't seem to keep them around more than a week or so.

I have no experience with them on the counter with exception of the day I bring them in. I'm sure someone more knowledgable than I will be along soon.

3. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
  4. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Most commercial eggs are 4 weeks old before they hit the shelf that folks buy them off from.

Fresh eggs placed in the fridge will keep for for 4 months no problem.

Eggs purchased in the store don't have a born on date....you are always eating eggs that are 4 to 8 weeks old if you buy them from a grocery store....pretty sad eh?

Then you keep themfor another month before they get used.

Once you notice how the whites from your eggs don't run all over the pan when cracked liked store bought do, you will have a clue!

bigzio

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    When I visited my mom last week she had eggs laid June 15 and June 18 in her frig. The expiration dates on the cartons weren't until August 30. I'm up to 3 hens laying so she'll be getting fresh eggs from now on [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by