How long do you sentence your rooster to jail?

igorsMistress

Labels create division.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Apr 9, 2013
My Coop
My Coop
My rooster is being a bit too insistent with the girls. Some sneak off to other parts of the yard alone, others avoid coming out of the coop as long as possible in the mornings. It's time for jail, but how long do you usually separate them?

Is there a reason you want to keep this particular rooster?

If you don't need fertile eggs, you might not need a rooster at all.

If you do want to breed, you might not want to breed from a rooster that acts like that.

(I usually prefer to solve chicken problems with a hatchet and a stewpot, so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice :) )

How old is the rooster?

we had a 9 month old like this. We put him in jail (separate pen outside of the run) for 10 days alone. When we gave him 2 girls in his pen, he was much nicer! We had another rooster he was fighting with, as well as trying to overmate the girls. He did not overmate the girls in the pen with him.

How old is your cockerel? From experience i personally think it’s just age. We have a young white cockerel (last years baby) and he’s constantly chasing the other hens and trying to jump them when the older cockerels aren’t around. The older ones chase him away and i think he’s starting to learn that not all the ladies are fair game. We have 8 cockerels at the moment .. so see it happen a lot! 😂

Is there a reason you want to keep this particular rooster?

If you don't need fertile eggs, you might not need a rooster at all.

If you do want to breed, you might not want to breed from a rooster that acts like that.

(I usually prefer to solve chicken problems with a hatchet and a stewpot, so maybe I'm not the best person to give advice :) )
:gig I get it! He's not really a problem, he's just young and has raging hormones, not even 6 months old yet. Also, he has a flock of 16 girls out there and 3 other cockerels that are only a couple of months younger than him and were hatched here.

I'm not a breeder but I enjoy having a rooster in my flock and hatching at home instead of buying chicks. Turkens aren't easy to come by unless I go to a hatchery and I'd rather not.

How old is the rooster?

we had a 9 month old like this. We put him in jail (separate pen outside of the run) for 10 days alone. When we gave him 2 girls in his pen, he was much nicer! We had another rooster he was fighting with, as well as trying to overmate the girls. He did not overmate the girls in the pen with him.
How old is your cockerel? From experience i personally think it’s just age. We have a young white cockerel (last years baby) and he’s constantly chasing the other hens and trying to jump them when the older cockerels aren’t around. The older ones chase him away and i think he’s starting to learn that not all the ladies are fair game. We have 8 cockerels at the moment .. so see it happen a lot! 😂
tNot even 6 months yet so yeah, raging hormones. I've never tried jail before so wasn't sure how long to put him in for. I have a mini coop that I usually brood chicks in so that will be jail. He can still see everyone and tgey can chat each other up but jail it is, he's going tonight.thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom