How long do you wait after chicks hatch to box them for shipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crazy4eggsJulie, Mar 10, 2011.

1. crazy4eggsJulie

crazy4eggsJulie Songster

Mar 15, 2009
    Hi,
    we plan to start shipping chicks this spring and need to know how long to wait after the chicks hatch before boxing them for shipping. I know that they should be dry, but is there a certain amount of time we need to wait? I've read to put fruit slices in there with them. Anyone else have any tips to share?

2. Randy

Randy Songster

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    No need to put fruit in with day old chicks. They don't need it.

3. Arielle

Arielle Crowing

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    In my limited experience--our chicks ARRIVED 24hr post hatch from a big hatchery. I bet the big hatcheries have a method to help dry the chicks quickly. THis is what I "think" but do not know for sure. Maybe someone can chime in here.

I would keep them warm by a artificial heat source until dry; a lot of body heat would be used to dry the chick which it will need while enroute to new home. Our lambs are being born now(20-40 degree weather) and the amount of steam from a wet body is AMAZING. THis is heat loss! We put on tiny wool jackets and use 250 watt infrared light bulbs. Can't imagine fitting a very tiny wool jacket on a chick . . .oh, yes I can. LOL

Hope this helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: