How long does a Moult last? PICS ADDED

caf.gif

Well, the girls are still moulting; how long will this last? The weather up here has turned; we now have cooler nights, but most days are still warm. We haven't had an egg in over 6 weeks! Tell me the end is in sight...

Zaxby's2 :

Anyone?

I don't know the answer, but we have one that is bareing on her back (I also think a combo of roo's fav girl and a molt) we put an apron on her and her feathers are growing back under the apron, but they did not appear to be w/o the apron.​

Sorry Zaxby, I wish I knew to answer that for you. Not sure anyone else knows either since you haven't gotten an answer yet. I don't have roosters so I don't know.
Good luck.

As far as loosing feathers to a Rooster, this is what I've been told: If the feathers just break off, new ones wont grow because the 'skin' isn't sensing a feather loss. I don't know that I worded that right. If the feathers actually come out, they should grow back, but how well, or for how long will depend on how long the hen stays the rooster's favorite.

here is 2 of my girls molting. The smaller one is still laying. However she was laying blue and now it's almost white. My bigger gal Lucy has not laid a egg for at least 3 weeks. How long will it be before she lays again? Her molting looks painful! She's going to bed early and just doesn't seem like herself. She's super sweet! I keep giving her BOSS and safflower seeds along with all 3 different feeds.
. I'm not worried about getting a egg as much as her hurting and looking do terrible ! Oops wrong picture
also, my smaller hen also looks like it's my Roo ripping her festers out along with the molting. She must be one of his favorites.
Should I buy them a saddle?

Last edited:
Make a saddle for your bare backed hen. one of my Wyandottes was totally stripped of her back feathers but a simple fleece saddle with elastic did the trick and she is now back to normal.
Do you think the smaller hen is from the rooster? She still lays every day. I looked at her and her feathers are broken but some new growth. Lucy the bigger one is definite molt!! No eggs for a few weeks

Back
Top Bottom