How long does an egg stay good

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by terrid856, Jun 15, 2008.

1. terrid856

terrid856 New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Hi, for the last 5 days I hadn't found any eggs from my hen in her box. I just thought maybe it was too hot. Well today I found 5 eggs in my outside cats barn.( I feed them there and have crates w/ hay for my 18 rescued cats) I've heard that eggs are covered with "bloom" when laid and they can last unrefrigerated for 3 weeks. Fact or Fiction? Thanks, Terri

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    This is the cutest poem I thought, I got it from this thread
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6895

Can you eat that egg?

If not sure you ought-ter
    then place it in water.
    If it lies on its side,
    then it's fresh, eat with pride.

After three or four days
    at an angle it lays
    But, it still is a treat
    so go on and eat.

Ten days, stands on end
    in your baking 'twill blend
    'Cause it's definitely edible
    in your baking, incredible.

But, if it floats on the surface
    that egg serves no purpose
    'Cause a floater's a stinker !
    Out the back door best fling 'er.

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    That is true - but personally, if I'm not sure how long the eggs have been there in this heat, I've been pitching them. I've got baby chicks in the coop in the garage without a heatlamp during the day, so I know the temps are averaging 85 to 90 degrees. I'm afraid to eat eggs that have sat out in the heat. On the kitchen counter with the a/c on, yes - at least 3 weeks if they last that long.

I'm hoping someone more experienced will be able to answer your question and even save my eggs from being tossed so *BUMP*

Oh - and [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Eggs are covered with a bloom when layed. Many keep eggs on the counter for a week or more and have no trouble. Here is something I found when I first joined BYC:
    Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
    Place eggs in bowl.
    If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
    If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
    When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
    Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method.

ibpboo-we posted together!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  5. terrid856

terrid856 New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Well Thanks for your quick responses. I'm happy to say all 5 eggs stayed on their side at the bottom of the bowl!!!! I will def. use them.
    Years ago, there was no ac, farmers wives kept the eggs in a basket on the counter. Since I learned about bloom I no longer wash my eggs until I'm ready to use them. And if I do find an egg I'm not sure about, I feed it to my hen instead of just tossing it. She loves them. But then "Chicklet" will eat just about anything [​IMG] Thanks again, Terri and girls Chicklet, Winkin, Blinkin and Nod

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Oh, by the way
    [​IMG]

Glad your eggs are good! Cute chicken names

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  7. terrid856

terrid856 New Egg

Jun 10, 2008
    Thanks , my hubby thinks I'm nuts cause I love my chicks so much and they love me. They come running when they see my car pull in. ( prob. only cause they think I have treats, but I like to think its cause they love me) They also follow me evrywhere when I'm outside. Its too darn funny. [​IMG]

8. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    As a kid in the 60's we would help our friend with his farm chores in the morning so we could go play faster. His jobs where collecting eggs and caring for the chickens and goats. He never wanted to do the chicken chores so as kids we helped him out. We would collect the eggs and place them in tin egg trays that where marked with an arrow. The eggs where kept on the counter. First egg in last one out. The eggs didn't last long before eaten. His mom would fix us lunch that consisted of egg sandwiches. Cooked anyway you wanted. Always egg sandwiches. Catsup, mayo, tomato, cheese, your choice or mix or match. It was given with sassafras tea that was kept on the table in a 2 gallon jar.(no ice) No one ever complained that I know of, just the way it was. Memories. John

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  9. Shannonwbl

Shannonwbl Chillin' With My Peeps

My feathers are still green and our hens just started laying. It is well over 100 here right now and though I check for eggs at least twice a day with temps like that I am wondering if I should be worried about the egg quality. I read the floating trick, but it sounds like that is more to check for freshness from a time perspective. Does that also apply when it is hot as blue blazes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by