How long does breeding season last?????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emjay, May 9, 2011.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    I have 5 Welsh Harlequins, and I am finding the boys overrun with their ducky testosterone. The poor girls. The two boys gang up together. when one is mating , the other is helping hold her head under the water.
    It's driving me crazy watching them. I want to cook them for dinner, they are being so mean !!!

Are they this way moreso during breeding season, I am hoping they ease up a bit soon.
    I know ducks are more aggressive this way, but, I'm not a fan of it.

I am thinking maybe one drake should go. I feel bad for my girls.

2. mymacandstormy

mymacandstormy New Egg

May 7, 2011
    how would you like it if you were being held down and abused with no way to fly to escape? she might drown or get crushed..have a heart.

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    Quote:Does BYC actually have trolls now???

mymacandstormy,

Yes, the boys are more rowdy and naughty during breeding season, and I found my boys settle down a lot come fall. Your ratio is a bit off, I know they recommend more girls to boys than you have. However, I have one boy and one girl, and seem to do perfectly fine. If you're having issues though, perhaps you should add more females?

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego

mymacandstormy,

Yes, the boys are more rowdy and naughty during breeding season, and I found my boys settle down a lot come fall. Your ratio is a bit off, I know they recommend more girls to boys than you have. However, I have one boy and one girl, and seem to do perfectly fine. If you're having issues though, perhaps you should add more females?

Here's an excuse to get more ducks! [​IMG] Yes, I would separate the extra male and only have one male at a time with the females.

5. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:excuse me ??

I'm not going to let my girls get hurt, thanks but no thanks for the rude comment

6. emjay

Sep 6, 2009

mymacandstormy,

Here's an excuse to get more ducks! [​IMG] Yes, I would separate the extra male and only have one male at a time with the females.

I have been trying to find some more Welsh girls of similar age, hard to find. I could find a different breed, but, I'd like to keep them all of the same breed.
    I am planning on selling a drake. Hopefully, I get some takers, doesn't seem drakes or roos are of high demand. I have to figure out which one , there is one that seems more paternal then the other, he fixes the nest and checks the eggs regularly.

7. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I would take one boy away from this herd and see how it goes. It is my understanding that WH will breed all year.

I am encountering this problem and have kept two boys but only put one with the girls at a time and the other one is in a different pen (both pens have chickens in them) with the Rouen girls (I have no Rouen boys). For me this is solving the problem- If you don't have two pens you may have to think about getting rid of one of them.

Good Luck!

8. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    Quote:thanks. I think I am going to try and sell one. I don't have a second pen for them as of yet. They've only been this terrible for the last two weeks,
    it doesn't help either that ducks are so uncoordinated, they aren't like chickens where they hop on and hop off.
    I've jumped in several times to help my girls.
    fingers crossed someone out there is looking for a very eager boy !

9. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I eat the rude drakes.

The boy I have now is nice and polite and his girls flirt with him all the time.

Welsh Harlequins breed all year, so get rid of the nastiest drake one way or the other.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  10. ccraft

ccraft Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2017
    Same problem. It is horrifying!
    We have 3 drakes 4 hens. Would love a good duck recipe. No one wants Drakes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by