How long does corid take to show improvements

Island Chicken Mom

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2023
Greetings!
I am seeking medical advice from someone with more experience than I.

Background:
Have a 3 year old rooster that is an indoor pet. We take many walks outdoors on the beach, allowing for sunbathing, dustbathing and hunting.
While indoors he eats chicken feed and has access to cold fresh water at all times.
Situation:

I noticed 48 hours ago he was acting not himself. Taking a hard turn yesterday.
-Not wanting to crow
Not eating or drinking
- Has diarrhea that is yellow and bright green in color. (I am not experienced but I read that is the bile in the stomach, so an empty stomach).
- Puffed up
- Head tucked into wing

What I have done thus far:
We do not have a vet on the island that will treat birds/chickens. Along with our limited supplies in stores to feed and treat livestock. So I consulted an experienced individual with the Avian species at our local humane society.
I was recommended some home treatments until medicine could arrive, (its kind of the island way, try what you can in case the medicine takes too long to arrive.)
If I am allowed to share I can in the comments the advice given.
This morning the recommended medicine arrived called “Corid”. He has taken a dose of 1 ml. I am wondering when changes in his behavior should start to show? This morning before the corid arrived he did crow! I take that as SOME improvement, yet he is still not willing to eat, or drink and just wants to rest.

Additional things I have checked for:
  • He has no mites, fleas or lice
  • His vent looks the same as it always has
  • I DID notice his feed had molded at the bottom of the bin, it was dumped asap and new feed has been provided. Still has not touched it.
  • His comb is still red, I do see color draining from his face though
  • I have made his eat with a syringe apple sauce, honey, pellets soaked in water and greek yogurt. (However I don't like doing this because I understand there are risks, yet will do what I have to so that he remains with us).
  • We have also been in a heat wave for the past month where we are located. With real feel temp. getting up to 120F. We have an AC unit on at all times, along with fans in every corner.

Questions?
- How many ML should I treat a single rooster with a day. He is between 4-5lbs
- When should I start to see a recovery? As in wanting to eating and no longer wanting to sleep all day.
- Since he has diarrhea, when should that clear up?
- If blood in the stool so happen occurs, how long before I should see clear stool samples?

I thank you for any advice!

Im not sure but some say 1 1/5 teaspoons in gallon of water? but for one rooster that might be a bit too much . Unless you hole flock is having these issues .

I only ask cause he is an indoors. He doesn't interact with other chickens.

UPDATE: He has fully recovered!!!!
All this information is what I have learned per the Vet, Human Society and National Park in an area where resources are limited, and avian medicine is not offered.

Our treatment:

Day 1:
Apple cider vinegar
Cayenne pepper
Finely chopped garlic clove
Pink Himalayan salt
Oregano
Cilantro
Honey
(Mixed in water and soaked in noodles to encourage eating)

*Note only use ACV once a month at max. It does miracles, yet like all medicine can become poison. It is used to kill all bacteria in the gut, both good and bad.
*Same goes for garlic, once a month at max. It helps to prevent many things, like worms, parasites, mites, mosquitoes, ect. However, is the same as ACV; it walks a thin line of medicine and poison. In this case with an ill chicken it can encourage eating due to the garlic making the stomach turn, activating that feeling of hunger.

Food: Apple sauce, Greek yogurt, raw egg yolk, pellet mash, noodles.

Day 2:
Corid 1ml directly with some water via syringe
B-12 1ml directly with some water via syringe
Cayenne pepper
Pink Himalayan salt
Oregano
Cilantro
Honey
(Mixed in water and soaked in noodles to encourage eating)

Food: Apple sauce, Greek yogurt, raw egg yolk, pellet mash, noodles, egg rice.

Day 3:

Food: he began to eat on his own

Day 4- Currently:

Food: he began to eat on his own

Back
Top Bottom