How long does freshly butchered chicken last in the fridge?

Home grown and processed chicken keeps for an amazing long time. It makes one wonder how old and/or contaminated grocery store "fresh" chicken must be, since it usually goes bad within just a few days of purchase.

How long can a pressure cooked carm fresh chicken last in fridge before canning? Same for broth, how long can it be in fridge before canning or before goes bad? On day 6 now thanks

In the case of your broth, bring it back to a boil for 15 minutes, then can as soon as its cool enough to do so.

In the case of your already pressure cooked chicken? Eat it now, do not (re?)freeze or can. Optimally, you want to can the same day you finish cooking. The next morning at the absolute latest (and some foods don't tolerate even that much delay - like chicken and other proteins). If you can it now, you will be canning chicken, plus everything else growing in your fridge that's managed to colonize in the last six days.

Refrigeration does not prevent spoliation, it merely slows it.

They can wait a LOT longer in a fridge than just 2 weeks. They will be fine. ;)
How long would the meat and the broth last in fridge after being cooked? I pressure cooked them in canner and separated meat from broth so I could can the broth and the meat separately. It’s been two weeks?

Hello. I killed my chicken then let it sit in the fridge for a day before cleaning it and it smelled really terrible. Did it go bad? Did it not cool down enough quick enough and how do I tell if it’s safe to eat?

Hello. I killed my chicken then let it sit in the fridge for a day before cleaning it and it smelled really terrible. Did it go bad? Did it not cool down enough quick enough and how do I tell if it’s safe to eat?

With the warmth of the body heat the gut contents spoil rapidly.

It's always best to clean immediately after slaughter.

While it would probably be *safe* to eat if very thoroughly cooked, it's unlikely to taste good. :(

Back
Top Bottom