How long does grit last once they eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DreamsInPink, Apr 22, 2016.

1. DreamsInPink

DreamsInPink Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm just wondering if I need to keep re-feeding it to them? They aren't getting much other than their crumbles.. just a dried mealworm now and then... most of them grab them from my fingers but I'm pretty sure they just drop them. :rolleyes:

2. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

It will stick around in the gizzard until it's ground down small enough to pass... For hard appropriately sized granite or quartz this likely takes several days to a week maybe longer depending on diet, for soluble grits like limestone or stuff that is borderline too small maybe a day or two if that long...

Best to offer it free choice every day, the birds know when they need more...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  3. DreamsInPink

Ok, thank you. I'm not sure what mine is made of. I keep giving it to them, but they are dumping it and messing in the bowl. I feel like I'm wasting a lot of it. Oi, I can not wait to get these kids in the coop.

4. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

If they dump it they can still find it while scratching so it's not waste until you clean it out...

5. mimsy

mimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    I just use construction sand, since I free range and my yard was a flooded mess when we moved here. We put in several tons of gravel and then sand over it. My husband does construction so we end up with a lot of sand anyways. when they are chicks I just sprinkle it around their brooder/pen.

6. DreamsInPink

I don't feel like they eat anything off the floor!! lol

7. ccrow

ccrow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I just gave mine a few live mealworms yesterday; they didn't know what to make of them[​IMG] One girl did grab one and run away from the others with it. I had the chicks in a wire dog crate outside, so I'm not sure if the other worms got eaten or managed to crawl away. Oh well, they'll figure it out eventually! I give them some parakeet grit(because I had it) and some sand/gravel from the yard.

8. DreamsInPink

I've never tried feeding live ones.. though I would like to pick up some crickets from the pet shop soon. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by