How long does it take for a chick to get out?

Hi. it dpends really. some hatching a hour or 2 and some love to take there sweet time. Mt ducks have been there shell 2 days after there hatch date. my buff orps took about 9 hours or more and the silkies took about 30 minutes to and a hour and a 1/2.

Mine took about 18 hours.
tongue.gif
I wouldn't intervene unless it's day 22 or later and they are really struggling and losing steam. Let Mother Nature do her work.
smile.png

Last edited:
Someone very near and dear to my heart gave me this gentle reminder regarding incubating eggs...

"Keep your grubby mitts OFF of them!"
lol.png
It's hard to watch them struggling, but they can do it. I had a small pip in one egg at 11am, and the chick didn't fully zip until 8:30am the following morning. You don't want to open the incubator/hatcher, because the humidity will drop, making the membranes stick to the chick.

Now, having said that, we did have one chick that busted out, but the shell WAS stuck to the chick, and I had to finally help loosen it from the fuzz. But sometimes they pip, then don't do anything for a while... they just gather strength to get out. It's nerve wracking, but suck a wonderful thing.
smile.png

The same person that gave me the reminder also said that he tries to be gone when the chicks are due so that he won't be tempted to help.

Congratulations!
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

Yup Listen to birdbrain........some have helped and lost the chick...........there is good reason it takes them so long.mine took almost 24 hours pip to hatch...........good luck.......get rest while you can
big_smile.png
it almost as tiring as labor for women
gig.gif

It's called Patience for a reason.... Step away from the bator... They know what they are doing...resting and breathing and it takes work to do both!!......I've never had to help a chick get out of its shell....can take up to 24 hours or more from a pip to zipping out....

That was the info I needed. PIP to ZIP!
Now there are 4 more pips, nothing further on #1, Oh I can walk away, I just check on them off and on as I walk by. I am not totally obessed JUST yet!
lol.png
Now if I get to this point
barnie.gif
just shoot me.
I will just sit around chatting to ya'll have some
pop.gif
and wait for the
jumpy.gif

I used to be way more tempted to open it up, but my hatch rates have improved dramatically (most of the time) if I set on my hands and let them do it on their own. All but one or two of the ones I helped out ended up dying anyway....there's usually a reason they can't make it out.

OK...not to butt in..

SO I have several in my bator.. Yesterday was day 22. I have 3 out. SO When do I give up on the other eggs? How many days past 21 is too long? Now, granted that I'm sure they were not all collected on the same day.

Also, How long do I leave the hatched chicks in the bator before transferring them to the brooder?

SBF
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom