how long does it take for an egg to go bad?

If I'm kinda "iffy" on the age of an egg I crack it into the dog bowl and if it looks right I give it to the dogs. I'd rather not throw it away, but I'd rather not eat it if I'm not sure, ya know?

I KNOW my dogs can leave food out in the yard and eat it 3 days later without getting sick so.....lol

I read somewhere that 10 days was the limit, but I'm unsure. If it's hot and they're not fertile then I would think they'd go bad within days. I'd go with what Tala says and crack one for the dog and see how it looks/smells.

Quote:
It depends on the integrity of the eggshell, I've had eggs go bad in a week and I've had eggs in the incubator for 21 days at temperature that didn't hatch due to being unfertilized (I always break the duds afterward to see) that looked smelled fine. Some books say a refrigerated egg will last 6 months. If you wash your eggs they have a much shorter shelf life. I typically leave my eggs I've collected on the counter till used, usually within a week or so. An unwashed egg apparently has a coating that inhibits bacterial entry----If I have to wash an egg, I will use it within a day or so.

Coopedup:p :

i found eggs outside and i was wondering how ling it takes for them to go bad?

You can put the egg in a cup of water (enough to cover the egg). If it sinks to the bottom, it's fresh. If it floats up, it's bad and should be discarded. Don't forget though that once in the water, the bloom will be washed off and you should use it promptly.​

how will i know if the egg is fertile? i have a rooster in with the hens. i have seen them mate so would that mean the eggs after will be fertile. its been about 2 weeks sence i have seen them mate.

Back
Top Bottom