1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long does it take to actually lay the egg, anyway

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 1othechicks, Feb 2, 2009.

1. 1othechicks

1othechicks New Egg

Oct 14, 2008
    Today our little flock started lying eggs!!! yay! But one of the girls is still in the nest box. She has been sitting in there for almost 2 hours. Is that normal?? Is she okay??

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

When mine first started laying some did lay in the box longer then others. Heck my cochin hen became broody after laying only a dozen eggs! She is in the nest box constantly now. I wouldn't worry.

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    hens can sit and rustle around and rearrange themselves for hours before every laying their egg. No need to worry. She may not even lay one and is just there for her own reasons. LOL

4. 1othechicks

1othechicks New Egg

Oct 14, 2008
    Oh! Thankyou!! My dughter and I have been quite worried. Us silly city people:D I was starting to have visions of chicken ememas. Very relieved now, thank you all. She can sit in that box all day if it makes her happy

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They can sit in the nest boxes for a long time and not lay any eggs. I don't let them sleep in the nests at night. Mine tried and after a few poopy eggs I stopped that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by