how long does it take to get from pullet to a hen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Coopedup:p, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Coopedup:p

Coopedup:p Chillin' With My Peeps

i have two pullets. both are about 41 weeks. they are both white cochin bantams. so.... how long will it take for them to get from pullets to hens?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Depends what definition you go by, it is sorta murky

Some say they are pullets till they start laying(but then how can you have PULLET eggs), but I think the widely accepted definition is at one year they become hens.

3. Coopedup:p

yeh. they might have been laying at their old coop. i got them from a friend. and they are very sweet and nice chickens.

4. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm quoting Miss Jayne from another thread about the same subject, cause we know she's a smart cookie!

Quote:

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    So actually I guess, just one day. Because at day 365 they're a pullet and the next day, they're a hen! [​IMG]

6. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    Pretty much it![​IMG]

7. LittleMamaBigPapa

LittleMamaBigPapa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Wouldn't a pullet be a hen when they lay eggs? My 2 white Plymouth Rock Bantams were 3 1/2 months old when they starting laying eggs!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Not if you go by the standard definition. A pullet is a pullet until she reaches one year old, regardless of whether she's laying or not.
    A hen is a female chicken one year of age or older.
    I am one of those that started calling them hens when they started laying. My roos were always "baby roos".

9. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    I think it's one of those terms like heifer. A heifer is a female calf before she has a calf of her own. Once she has a calf, then she is a first-calf heifer, but she is also a cow. [​IMG]

10. Coopedup:p

yes i think that is very close to it. last year in my animal science class we talked about what you call animals after they give birth and before they do. and also what to call male animals that the have or have not been castrated. so i think the heifer thing applys to the pullet and hen thing also. haha:p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by