How long does it take to hatch? Need help!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by buckyphifer, Mar 25, 2008.

1. buckyphifer

buckyphifer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    Northwest Tennessee
    After an egg has pipped, no beak showing just cracked shell but can't see in yet, how long do you wait before you intervene? I just helped one out and I have 2 more that have been this way since at least 7:30 this morning. So its going on 10 plus hours. This is my first time but the one I helped was really wadded up and the membrane seemed to be tough. He had been rocking and peeping this morning but had stopped rocking. So far so good. He is still drying out. I'm just don't know if I should help the others or wait? I have read the sticky, but would like more of a time frame. I don't know if this thing takes 24 hours or what. The one that hatched by himself was out in about 4-5 hours. Help, please.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

It's not unusual for it to take 24+ hours. If you intervene too soon they may not have absorbed the yolk yet and will die. I know it's hard, but you need to give them time to do it on their own.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm in agreement with Katy....it can take 24 hours for them to pip and then crack open the egg...its called zipping...they are taking their first breaths of air and resting.....

4. buckyphifer

Feb 27, 2008
    Northwest Tennessee
    Thank you so much!!!! I can breath now.

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... I had one pip at noon yesterday... finally popped out about 8:30am today. Just gathering strength. [​IMG]

6. buckyphifer

Feb 27, 2008
    Northwest Tennessee
    How long do I keep them in the bator? When should they be put in the brooder and given water and food?

7. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    Keep them in til they are fluffy and dry. They need the heat and humidity.

8. newchick08

newchick08 New Egg

Apr 6, 2008
    I have 3 successful hatches, but one who pipped 72 hours ago and has not hatched. He is peeping and has only a dime size hold in the shell. Is this an emergency?

9. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    I am with you guys. I just have to learn patients this little guys has pipped this morning, but nothing he is chirping though. I also have one that pipped on the wrong end. Good luck to all..[​IMG]

10. orlandoluv1

orlandoluv1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    spring valley , CA
    Quote:after 72 hours i would probably help but thats just me. i think that after 24 + hours its time to help them out a bit. let me know what happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by