How long does it take?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by LoupGarou, Feb 15, 2012.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Two days ago, I put my two remaining Buff Orpington hens in with a rooster. I want to hatch some eggs to bring my buff numbers up again. How long does it take for eggs to be fertile after the introduction of a rooster? I've seen him mounting both hens, but I know nothing about the internal mechanics of a chicken.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    It takes an egg about 25 hours to go through a hen's internal egg factory. It can only be fertilized during the first 15 minutes or so of that journey.

If a mating occurs on a Monday, Monday's egg is not fertile. It started that journey Sunday. Tuesday's egg might be but that depends on when the egg started its journey and when the mating actually took place. Often it is not because most eggs are laid fairly early in the day.

Wednesday's egg is almost certainly fertile.

This assumes the matings were successful. Mounting does not always end in a successful mating, but it is a pretty good indication.

3. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know. I have eggs in the incubator right now, but I guess I can be pretty certain that I'll be getting fertilized eggs when they hatch. :)

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's always the test, isn't it. Not just that they are fertile, but they will actually hatch. Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by