How long does the pecking order take???

Ours are slowly tolerating each other. After the first day of bloodshed they are starting to be clear where the pecking order lies. Cilla pecks Grizzi, Grizzi pecks Sammi, Sammi pecks Pauli. Cilla and Sammi are best friends. Grizzi and Pauli are best friends. Cilla is a bit rough with Grizzi but Grizzi does push her luck. Before all the problems Sammi was in charge.
At the moment we have 80km gusts of wind. Cilla won’t let Grizzi or Pauli stay in the protected run so I’ve locked Cilla and Sammi in the smaller run as Sammi had gone in the nesting box in the smaller run. Both runs have food and water.
I hate it when you get ‘doorman’ trouble as you have to intercept before it gets too entrenched - we used to have the same problems with two cats!

So interesting. I've been watching mine and no one is pecking anyone. The most I've seen is one trying to peck poop off another ones bottom. Now I will have to watch more closely.

Ours are slowly tolerating each other. After the first day of bloodshed they are starting to be clear where the pecking order lies. Cilla pecks Grizzi, Grizzi pecks Sammi, Sammi pecks Pauli. Cilla and Sammi are best friends. Grizzi and Pauli are best friends. Cilla is a bit rough with Grizzi but Grizzi does push her luck. Before all the problems Sammi was in charge.
At the moment we have 80km gusts of wind. Cilla won’t let Grizzi or Pauli stay in the protected run so I’ve locked Cilla and Sammi in the smaller run as Sammi had gone in the nesting box in the smaller run. Both runs have food and water.
I hate it when you get ‘doorman’ trouble as you have to intercept before it gets too entrenched - we used to have the same problems with two cats!

You know I had two who THOUGHT they were going to pull that on some lower ranking, younger pullets, and I put a stop to that real quick. I’m not afraid to show my girls who’s the boss. A couple times of being “finger pecked” off the top roost, and a few sideways boots with the foot- (to launch them a couple feet)- doesn’t do anything but wound the pride a little and make a more humble chicken. Have to watch them close for a couple days and be persistent and consistent, but you can change a bully into a good hen. No way would I put up with a couple chickens making so much work for me- having to keep separate flocks/runs etc- or throwing other birds out of the coop to suffer gale force winds. Don’t let them push you around like that! All 8 of mine get along reasonably well now.. thankfully.. because I also wouldn’t be above doing away with an obstinate bully!! I strongly dislike MEAN chickens!! And IMO there’s a difference in establishing/maintaining a pecking order and just simply being a bully and a jerk! No one likes a bully! Lol!

I am a new chicken owner! Got my first girls back in November 1 lavender Orpington and 1 Golden laced Wyandotte. Had them since 3 days old. About 4-5 weeks later, I got 3 more. A lavender Orpington and 2 splash Wyandottes. I introduced them once they were all about the same size. They have been together now for about 2 months!!! But they still are trying to establish a pecking order??!! The younger LO is MEAN!! She beats up on everyone else besides the Leader. What should I do? Should they still be trying to establish the pecking order? Any help is appreciated
Never ends. Some day the younger weaker ones will be the aggressors. You just have to provide plenty of get-away space. Close quarters will aid to prolonged pecking order confrontations.:)

I’m doing the ‘I’m the rooster here’ bit. I have a long stick with a rubber protector on the end of it that scares them. They know when I shout at them to behave. The problem is as soon as I’m out of sight they start again. I’m not putting up with it but I have to go to the uk so OH will have to step in.
I could understand if they were new hens but before 2nd January they got on fine. The problem was a dog attack meant two had to live in the house for two months before we could move them back. See Hens in the hall threads. They are all large hens, almost a year old. Every now and again I hear a cry as one has gone for the other.
They’ll have to learn to get out of the way quickly but territory power is a no no in my book so my inner rooster is staying so they know who’s in charge and it’s not Cilla!

:mad:
Years ago, I remember the practice of trimming the Beak, on baby chicks. Can this be done later as an alternative to a "Bully Hen" doing damage by pulling feathers etc. Is this still done? Is it still practical in preventing damage to other chickens? Thanks...

That’s awful. Making sure they have enough room is equally as effective-among other things- as intentionally mutilating them would be! I read a thread (maybe here) a while back about someone who’d adopted some hens that someone did this to- and it’s just terrible. Complete abuse, and lack of effort imo. The birds couldn’t eat or groom mites etc properly.. and the woman who adopted them was having a terrible time with those poor chickens! Beaks are pointy for many reasons, nature usually knows better- and people need to be smarter/more creative/more empathetic/ etc than needing to do something like that if they’re going to keep chickens!!! That’s just CRUEL! :barnie:mad: Reminds me of something some morally bankrupt chick mill/egg farm would do. Unconscionable!!!

Back
Top Bottom