how long does your hen try before she actually lays an egg?

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
I have one hen who starts squacking about an hour before she even goes into the nest box. Then she can sit there quietly for a couple of hours before she actually lays an egg. Is this usual? She seems to be very consistent with laying regularly. My other ones just seem to go in, lay an egg and come out.
hmm.png

My RIR does the same thing. Sings the chicken song for about an hour, then goes to the nesting box and sits there for about 30 minutes! I guess they're all different but that seems normal to me (considering my chicken does it too)

Yep, mine are different, too. The Red Stars generally jump into the nest box, push stuff around for a few minutes, lay, then off they go. One will sometimes take a bit more time. The Dominiques, however.... In and out of the boxes, in and out of the coop, moaning and groaning, singing the egg song, in and out some more, go get some food, in the box, out of the box... you get the idea. It takes, literally, all day long. I saw them start about 9 this morning when I got up, collected the eggs from the Stars around 11, and just brought the 2 Dominique eggs in about half an hour ago. They also tend to like to lay together. They will be in different boxes (tho I sometimes do find the eggs in the same one), but if one is in the coop and the other isn't, that one will usually just hop out until they both get there together. I guess it just depends on the chicken. They all have their own way of getting it done!

Back
Top Bottom