How long dose it take for chickens to eat 20kg's of feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickens 17, Apr 12, 2012.

1. chickens 17

chickens 17 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    Just wondering how long would it take for chickens to have eaten 20kg of feed?(over a period of days)

2. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    sorry but my math isn't very good soo i think thats around 44-45 lbs if i did it right. I guess your answer depends on how many chickens you have.
  3. chickens 17

chickens 17 New Egg

Apr 10, 2012
    for 4 chickens
  4. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    4 chickens would theoretically eat 1 lbs a day between the four of them. So 22 kg = 22*2.2=50.4 lbs would last 48 days.

However, if you let them free range or give them a lot of scraps and treats they may not eat 1 lbs a day. On the other hand if your feed is going quicker than 50 or so days you may be feeding some other critters along with the chickens, such as mice, rats, etc.

I hope this was what you were asking about.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    1/4 lb per day or 1 lb a day is for light breed chickens eating nothing else. Leghorns would be an example of a light breed. If you have heavy breed, dual purpose breeds (i.e. Barred rock, Buff Orpington) they would eat closer to 1/3 of a pound/day each or 1 1/3 lbs. per day for 4. Hope this helps.
  6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I average 3 to 5 chickens, and this is about right for me. Depends on free ranging, treats, and season.
    50 lbs will last me 2-5 months.

Imp- not very precise is it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by