How long fertile?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by livininbrazil, Sep 16, 2013.

1. livininbrazil

livininbrazil Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, I got a turkey hen a couple of weeks ago, sweet little thing, was in acage all on her own, so I brought her home. I´´ve no idea of her back-ground, age or anything. She´s started to lay. My question is, if she´d been with a tom before I got her, which is at least 2 weeks ago, could she still be fertile? Could I leave her to try to incubate, or just forget it? I´ve tried to get a tom for her, but no joy as yet.

2. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    She could still have sperm inside her if they mated recent to your getting her. Worth a try! I read an article once that said it was possible for a hen to retain sperm for up to 17 weeks! I would not think that long is probable! I would give it a try?

3. livininbrazil

OK, thanks for that. I´ll leave her to get on with it, then. Mabe she´ll be able to make her own little companions.

4. livininbrazil

Ok, well she´s been sitting on 9 eggs for nearly a week. I´ll pop a couple of chicken eggs under her on Monday just in case she doesn´t manage to hatch out any poults, then at least she´ll have something to look after! I´ll let you know if anything comes of her eggs. I had her without a male for 3-4 weeks when she started to sit.

5. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    You can candle the eggs. If you are new to candling wait until about 10-14 days for the easiest view. GOod luck.

6. livininbrazil

OK, that´s a good idea. That´ll be the end of next week, then. I´ll read up about it.

7. hdmax

hdmax Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Central Ohio
    I believe you meant a cage, and if so. It would be pretty difficult for her to be fertile if that were the case!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by