How long for calcium tab to work? Potential bound egg

Ajp23

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Oct 3, 2023
Hi all! I believe I have an egg bound hen, I was able to give her a calcium tablet. Is this a fast acting thing (if it works) or what should I expect?

Thank you!

Adding that she is in the nesting box but will only stand, not lay down. Her bottom is pulsing and she looks hunched.

What kind of calcium did you give, and amount?
Calcium citrate +D is faster absorbed and 600mg is what you are aiming for. Give that once a day. Did you check to see if you can feel an egg? Is she pooping?
Sometimes a warm soak can help them relax and pass an egg. Or you can use warm towels (warm them in the dryer) and put around her like a nest.
How old is she and had she been laying normally before this?

I do feel an egg a few inches away from the vent. I believe I have messed up on type of calcium though 😩 I gave her carbonate (500 mg) because that’s what I had, I didn’t think about it needing to be citrate.

She is nearly one year old and has always laid less frequently that the other hens. However, I’ve never seen her looking ill or lethargic until today. As of right now she looks very ill so I’m worried a bath would be too stressful. I’ll try the warm towels.

I do feel an egg a few inches away from the vent. I believe I have messed up on type of calcium though 😩 I gave her carbonate (500 mg) because that’s what I had, I didn’t think about it needing to be citrate.

She is nearly one year old and has always laid less frequently that the other hens. However, I’ve never seen her looking ill or lethargic until today. As of right now she looks very ill so I’m worried a bath would be too stressful. I’ll try the warm towels.
Also curious about citrate vs carbonate, my CVS only had carbonate so I dosed my hen that as well, wondering if that's OK.

You can also try to lube up the vent and egg to help. If you have some KY jelly I would use that. Just use your finger and gently try to work it around the edges of the egg that you can feel.
If you have the calcium citrate, go ahead and give her one, this is short term, so it'll be ok. If you don't have it, the other will help some, just not as fast. Warmth and moisture and quiet will help her relax, and sometimes that helps too.
As a last resort you can attempt manual removal. That is not without risk, so only as a last resort.
There is more info here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/chicken-egg-binding-causes-symptoms/

She got the egg out and then had a huge poop follow. I’m happy the egg is out - is this likely to occur again once it happens? Thanks for all the help!

It looked like a very typical egg for her as far as size but did have some poop on it. That could have been from being in the box with poop that followed but other than that, normal. Usual size and a hard shell.

Not sure if this has anything to do with it but the color varied. She usually has a medium to dark blue egg and this one was very light, almost white looking.

Back
Top Bottom