how long from pip to zip?

mothersin2ition

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Othello, WA
Im sure its been asked before but I cant seem to find what Im looking for. My question is, how long does it usually take? I have one egg that I rescued from a mama who abandoned her nest. I put it into a hatcher set up- the next night it pipped (last night) and today, its made no further progress. I can still hear it chirping. I dont intend to intervene at this point, if at all, I was just wondering how long it can take. How long can it go and still be on the normal side of the time-limit?

I have read on here that it can be 30 minutes to 24 hours! Mine all pipped at the same time, and some came out in about an hour, but two of them it took about 9-10 hrs.

My longest pip to zip took a full 12 hours. I was pretty nervous, but I kept telling myself not to intervene.
smile.png
It's okay, just give the chick some time. You'd be amazed with the strength that mother nature grants these little things.

okay, well its definitely been over 12 hours, going on 24. But I just chirped to it, and it peeped back
love.gif

Its especially nerve-wracking because I didnt have the hatcher up and going when I found the egg had pipped- and Ive never used the hatcher- its homemade- and Im having a hard time getting the temp stable. I just hope I dont kill the poor little thing......

Back
Top Bottom