How long from the squat...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken quartet, Jan 7, 2009.

1. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    to actually laying an egg??? I have 2 pullets out of 10 that started squatting on Jan 1st. When can I expect an egg? The 2 that are squatting hatched in July. I have 2 other pullets that were hatched in April and May and still don't show any signs of laying. I'm dying to get my first egg!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My hens took about 7 to 10 days between first squat and first egg. I'm waiting patiently for my EE's to start to squat.

3. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    it was about 4 or 5 days for me. funny you posted cause i was just thinking about it.

4. chicken quartet

chicken quartet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Corona, CA
    Tomorrow it will be 7 days then. It's my Barred Rock and RIR that are doing the squatting. I also have another Barred Rock, 2 SLWs, 1 GLW, 2 EE, that are all the same age as the other 2 (all hatched in July) but none of the others are squatting.

Then I have a GLW and a banty silkey/cochin cross that were both hatched April/Mayish and still don't show any signs of laying! I thought maybe it just wasn't the time of year to start laying but I keep seeing all these posts of new layers. I'm getting really impatient!

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't recall exactly but I seems like it was around a week and the comb and wattles were pretty red. My first to start laying was 17 weeks old my last to start laying so far was 27 weeks old.

6. Hellvagirl

Hellvagirl Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    Ellijay,GA
    Dont feel alone.I have a hen that was hatched around March 23rd & she still hasnt laid.Were hoping for eggs soon. [​IMG]

7. vermontgal

vermontgal Chillin' With My Peeps

BR #1 - Squat - Jan 1 - egg by Jan 5
    BR #2 - Squat - Dec 31 - no egg as of today (7 days later)
    NHR - Squat - Jan 1 - no egg as of today (6 days later)
    EE - Squat - Jan 5 - no egg as of today (2 days later)

The BR are both 27 weeks, and the NHR and EE are now 28 weeks.

BR #2, who squatted first and squats most strongly of any of them (feet stamping in addition to wings raised), has still not laid an egg.

Most people say 1-2 weeks from squat to egg. I'm hoping to get 3 eggs tomorrow, though! [​IMG]

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My RIR and BSL took about another week to lay an egg. The BR took about 3 weeks.

9. UrbanChickenMama

UrbanChickenMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    Sounds like there is variation on the bird - just an indicator eggs are coming... eventually. ha!

My cochin laid the day after she first squatted.
    My sussex laid within a couple of days of first squatting.
    My americauna laid about 2 weeks after she first started squatting.

10. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    My hen started laying about 5 days from the squat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by