• 10-20 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

HallFamilyFarm

APA ETL#195
14 Years
Jan 25, 2010
Monticello, Arkansas
Just wondering how long folks have raised poultry and what breeds they have raised.

We have always had chickens. On the big farm it was my "chore" to feed the chickens. At one point I had over 200 chickens, several ducks,a gaggle of geese, a dozen bantams and 300+ Pharaoh Quail. Mom made me sell some at that point. Started showing at about age 18. Been 28 years with exhibition poultry. Still learning from some of the great breeders. The more I learn, the more I realize how little I really knew.

I started with barnyard mixed chickens. My first Exhibition type was Buff Orpington LF and Sebright Bantam. I then acquired some Buff Orpingtin Bantams. Have had variouys breeds over the years, but always go back to the Buff Orpington. Anything Buff colored works in my book! However, the Buckeye has grown on me.

Edit note: The window loaded before I finished the poll. If you have raised poultry longer than 20 years just vote on the last answer.

Last edited:
Started just this summer when my parents finally said yes (well i guess after i had built a coop and run and found a random barred rock trying to get in they could not say no... haha) I started with that one bird till I realized it was a roster.. someone must have just let it go and it found me. I then acquired 8 bearded silkies and an odd ball bantam i have yet to figure out what it is. After that I got 6 more standard size birds black australorp, dominique, silver laced wyandotte. I now have defiantly been bitten by the bug because i soon have 25 rainbow layers, 25 brown egg layers, 2 geese, 7 ducks, and 7 turkeys coming from mcmurray hatchery in the spring. Thats my story.

When I was growing up, my uncle who lived nearby on the farm my dad grew up on had about 100 layers, when I was about 10 I helped my dad raise and butcher 50 broilers. I had pheasants a couple years when I was 12. Recently the economy forced me into early retirement so to keep real high quality food on the table I enlarged my garden this spring and started raising bees. I volunteered at a Macaw breeding facility in Costa Rica and chickens are pretty much everywhere there. Everyone wakes to the sound of roosters, no need for alarm clocks. When I got home I got 10 pullets.(Buff Orps, Giants and B Rocks) When they started laying, I got 25 freedom rangers (processed the last ones yesterday). I then got a mix of 50 more - egg layers and dual purpose. I'll add 10 or more of those to the flock and eat the rest. The ones I'll add are Ancona, Minorca, Ameracauna, Jaerhon, Wellsummer and Wyandotte. The egg basket should be pretty colorful by March.
A long answer to a short question, so basically I've had chickens just this year but all my life.

I've been raising birds/poultry for more than 60 years. If it has feathers, I find it to be beautiful. I think that leghorns and the Mediterranean breeds are particularly attractive. I love flying pigeons of any breed. I have raised cage birds, waterfowl, guineas, chickens, ducks, geese, peafowl, pheasants, ? The Princess was wearing a feather boa when I met her-it was love at first sight.
lol.png
Honest!

It`ll be 53 years in March. Started out with White Rocks when I joined the 4-H at age 11. Had many breeds over the years, but my passion is gamefowl and Oriental Gamefowl in particular. Had several breeds of Oriental GF, but I`ve narrowed my overall choice down to Asils. Never has there been such a bird.
Aside from that, I still have a few guineas and geese. I love my geese and hope I never have to live anywhere without them, for the rest of my life...........Pop

Back
Top Bottom