How long in the brooder?

jc12551

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
S.W. TN
Some of you know that I got a surprise box of 20 turkeys Friday. I am a complete newbie when it comes to turkeys! I've been reading and researching but I still have one question (for now).

How long do they need to stay in the brooder with heat?

I'm not in any hurry to boot them out anywhere, mind you. I just want to be prepared. I have an outside brooder set up for the chicks: kiddie pool, covered in wire, in the chicken coop with feeders and heat lights. I don't know what to do with a mixed group of poults/chicks. But due to our cold snap I have boxes and boxes of chicks and turkeys inhabiting my house!

Depends on how cool it gets at night. By about 6 weeks they should be able to handle 65-70 at night. I move mine to a 8X8 grow out pen by this age but it is in a open barn. I also put in a heat light and check them at night to see if they are huddled under the light.

I have a brooder with an attached screen porch. I start letting them onto the porch during the day at three weeks if the weather is nice. By four weeks, its usually hard to get them to go back inside. At six weeks I put them out in a large fenced yard. They sleep in a big ball for a couple of weeks. Maybe becasue its a bit cold for them still, but the brooder gets crowded. Within a few days they seem very comfortable outside.

Thank you for the information! I am just trying to make plans.

Is it wrong, after a week with poults, to consider selling off my chicks and just raising turkeys
smile.png
I think I am in love!

As my signature line says..."chickens were fun, until I got turkeys"

I have to admit that I have become rather neglectful of my chickens since I have gotten turkeys.

I know exactly how you feel jc. My little poults are the sweetest things. I'm in love too:love
This is my first time with turkeys too (I only have 3). Here in northern Ohio it's still chilly. I was hoping to put them outside pretty soon.
Wouldn't it be ok to put them out in their pen with a heat light? (their pen is inside a small shed with a hole cut so they can go out into a fenced area)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom