How long in the new coop ?

Songster
13 Years
Jul 10, 2010
Grand Bay, AL
How long do I have to keep the girls locked in their new house before they figure out that they have a new address ? They sure are mad at me right now !!

You don't necessarily have to keep them locked in for weeks on end or anything. In the evening right before it gets dark, you can let them out. They might venture out for a little while, but with it being close to dusk, they will be sure to stay close to their house. Eventually, as you let them out earlier and earlier in the evening, they will learn where they are to be at night. It shouldn't take too long either.

Good luck!

Guinea fowl or chickens or something els? I kep my guinea fowl in there coop for a month.

And
welcome-byc.gif
from South Carolina!

Last edited:
I keep chickens in a new coop for about a week just to cement "this is home" in their little heads. For grow-out coops, I keep the young birds inside a small penned area around their coop for two weeks before letting them out to mingle with everyone they've seen (and which have seen them).

I only have three hens now and we burned down their other coop so they won't be able to find that. Perhaps tomorrow if it is not snowing here in Alabama (yes, I said snow!) and we are working about in the yard I will let them out.

It took a few days for us after we moved them to the new coop from our house (it was a quite mess...
roll.png
). My chickens usually followed me when I called. So I could put them in the coop easily with some treat, after their daytime free range activity. A few days later, I found the chickens were heading toward the coop during sunset. Since then, no guiding has been necessary.
smile.png

i transfered my chickens to thier new coop at night when they were roosting, one by one i put them on their new roost, and by the next evening, they automaticly knew where too roost in their new coop

I let them out yesterday and finding their new home last night seemed to be a challenge - even though one of them had gone back in during the day to lay an egg!!! I'm hoping that tonight will be better.

I toss scratch in the coop i want then to go in so they get eggcited about going in the new coop works very well for me I do scratch a few times a day for a few days and thyey are at home!!

Back
Top Bottom