How long is a good reproductive silkie's life span for egg?

Its going to vary quite a bit from bird to bird. My Head Tuck just quit laying this Spring, she's almost seven. I've had a two year old molt and never go back to laying.

My favorite silkie Willow gave me an egg every other day until she died at age 9 years old. (I could tell by the shade of egg shell) I give all my girls dried crushed egg shells back in their diet.

I think she means that the hen laid a particular color of egg which was very recognizable among the other eggs... she could tell the hen kept laying for 9 years because those recognizable eggs kept coming and coming.

I have the opposite concern from the OP... a year-old SQ silkie pullet who has yet to lay her first egg. Is there anything I can do to get her going?

Best - exop

That's correct about the shade of Willow's beige eggs & the size too. She laid just a little bit smaller egg than the rest. I only have 7 silkie girls & I spend a lot of time out there with them. I heard that some silkies never lay. A friend has a silkie right now that I breed splash to blue that still didnt lay at 10 months?

Thank about the color, was not sure your meaning. I think the silkie's are much later to breed as roo's also as well as lay eggs. Then again I have two partridge just started laying at 5 months.

Last edited:
I have two white roos over a year that I beg to breed!!!!! I'm about ready to buy them a book on chicken reproduction!

Back
Top Bottom