How long is too long once chicks start to hatch?

Dona Worry

Crowing
Jul 5, 2018
Vermont
I have my first-ever batch if eggs in the incubator, 18 polish crested eggs. They are starting to hatch a day early, and I am concerned-- I took this photo approximately 6 hours ago, there are at least 5 eggs at this stage of hatching, I can hear chicks peeping, but they don't seem to be making any headway. What do I do??
Incubator is at 69% humidity, and 99.5 degrees

Attachments

• 20220519_094103.jpg
    20220519_094103.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 9
They’re okay!! They’re in the second stage of hatching known as the “pip”. It can take up to 24-48 hours for them to make anymore progress. After they pip, they zip. The “zip” is when they begin cracking a ring around the egg. The amount of time in this phase varies, but don’t let it go on longer than a few hours if they’re not making progress. Keep me updated! IMG credit: Pinterest
6B328879-8A03-40FC-A491-CE45827550B4.jpeg

They’re okay!! They’re in the second stage of hatching known as the “pip”. It can take up to 24-48 hours for them to make anymore progress. After they pip, they zip. The “zip” is when they begin cracking a ring around the egg. The amount of time in this phase varies, but don’t let it go on longer than a few hours if they’re not making progress. Keep me updated! IMG credit: Pinterest View attachment 3114904
Thanks, I'm so anxious!! I've always let broody hens hatch eggs, and they have always been fluffy and angry for 3 weeks then POOF, like magic, fluffy baby chicks.
This is so much more nerve-wracking!

Back
Top Bottom