How long Mandarin ducks lay

nhbradley

Songster
7 Years
Apr 18, 2014
I am wondering what month Mandarin stop laying eggs in New Hampshire and Vermont. I'm also getting a couple wood duck eggs but not me sure they're fertile yet. Very skittish Birds. There is a bit of molting going on but I didn't think that would happen until next month the end of the month. Thank you

I'm not sure on mandarins but my wood duck laid her first egg on the ground it was infertile. The next three were on the ground two weeks later and took four days and one got broken. She laid all but the first one of them in a bit over a week now there is at least three in the box due pretty much now. They do sometimes have large clutches and at roughly one a day it could be a couple of weeks.

I'm not sure on mandarins but my wood duck laid her first egg on the ground it was infertile. The next three were on the ground two weeks later and took four days and one got broken. She laid all but the first one of them in a bit over a week now there is at least three in the box due pretty much now. They do sometimes have large clutches and at roughly one a day it could be a couple of weeks.
Yes, I wish you luck. I was just wondering how long they will lay if you keep collecting them. I have one youngboy from last year looking a little molting going on. And they do not Bond or should I say my three year olds do but the rest Chase one girl around till one gets it. I've gotten a few wood duck eggs and I don't expect much out of them cuz they are so skitzy nervous . I'm getting my new brinsea this week I think I will try those out in there. It's like Christmas for me to get a nice incubator although I do have cabinets but they're too big thanks for your help

Yes, I wish you luck. I was just wondering how long they will lay if you keep collecting them. I have one youngboy from last year looking a little molting going on. And they do not Bond or should I say my three year olds do but the rest Chase one girl around till one gets it. I've gotten a few wood duck eggs and I don't expect much out of them cuz they are so skitzy nervous . I'm getting my new brinsea this week I think I will try those out in there. It's like Christmas for me to get a nice incubator although I do have cabinets but they're too big thanks for your help
I'm not sure how long they will lay while your collecting the eggs but I don't like to go over 7 days before incubating. My Green wing laid 24 eggs and I took the first 7 after a week and so on to incubate them so I ended up staggering hatch times in the incubator.

I believe they can go longer than 7 days as we have a guinea that hatched out 25 babies so the first one was 25 days old. I usually go 10 days or so on other eggs. Thank you for your answer

I believe they can go longer than 7 days as we have a guinea that hatched out 25 babies so the first one was 25 days old. I usually go 10 days or so on other eggs. Thank you for your answer
Yea I know some eggs can go longer but I read years ago that after 7 they start to become less viable so I try for the best chance I can. I saw a video of a guy checking Golden eye boxes and some had 25 or more eggs so I guess nature knows better than me.

Back
Top Bottom