How to improve habitat for wood and mandarin ducks?

Paul Sabucchi

In the Brooder
Oct 26, 2023
Ciao from Italy, in a nutshell I would appreciate advice on what plants/climbers I could grow up the supports to give some cover to the boxes when the ducks start nesting, was thinking of vines but not much foliage that early in the year. Advice on improvements to the area in general also welcome.
Over the last few months I have set up an aviary about 1330 sq ft, currently housing a pair of wood ducks, one of white mandarins, a juvenile pair of mandarins and two serama hens. It has 6' high sturdy fencing doubled inside with fine chicken wire and topped with high strength polyethylene 2" mesh that droops down the inside of the fencing to give some padding should the ducks freak and fly against it. I want to try my hand building from the bottom drain in the duck pond a swirl filter using the 130 gal tub in the photo, the concept works well for the koi pond so could make water changes less frequent or ar worst will make another bathing area. By the way the koi pond is just above the aviary so the runoff from the filter keeps part of the soil permanently wet and suitable for marsh plants. I have made 3 nest boxes and planning to build at least another 3 and put some branches across as perches (not being used yet as the breeder did not give his any, will put more if they start using them). During summer there is a corner that remains in the shade of the Almond and the Fig tree outside while inside I have planted an Alder and two cherry trees (one may not have taken). For winter as it can snow I have I am considering getting a pair of Red Breasted Geese (may have to improve the grass and sow some clover as well) and/or other kind of ornamental birds that could share the space with the ducks, my wife has got poor eyesight so bright colours are preferable (golden pheasants too stroppy?).
Ciao e grazie!

Attachments

• IMG_20231026_162957856_copy_1024x766.jpg
    IMG_20231026_162957856_copy_1024x766.jpg
    400.1 KB · Views: 67
Most vines are toxic to ducks except grapes. But grapes are toxic to dogs. I have them growing over my mandarin enclosure. I wouldn’t even bother with a filter for the pond. I drain mine daily. A pump and filter will get solid waste out. But it will clog the filter fast and it won’t take the bacteria out of the water. So it’s really pointless. For fish it’s important for turning ammonia into nitrites then nitrites into nitrates. None of that matters to ducks so it will be just more work for you.

Last edited:
Most vines are toxic to ducks except grapes. But grapes are toxic to dogs. I have them growing over my mandarin enclosure. I wouldn’t even bother with a filter for the pond. I drain mine daily. A pump and filter will get solid waste out. But it will clog the filter fast and it won’t take the bacteria out of the water. So it’s really pointless. For fish it’s important for turning ammonia into nitrites then nitrites into nitrates. None of that matters to ducks so it will be just more work for you.
Thank you, I understand your point. As you say in the duck pond biological filtration is unnecessary, my 14k gal koi pond is totally separate and has it's own filtration, for 6 months a year I chuck in 2lb of high protein food every day and the swirl filter from the bottom drain does a good job keeping the water cristal clear. Having kept runner ducks for 10 years I know ducks make a mess of their water and can't expect the system to work as good but as water here is getting more precious I would like to waste as little as possible (and use any of the outflow to water and feed veggies). With a gravity fed system the pump does not have to suck the sludge from the pond, it sucks the cleaner water from the surface of the radial flow/settlement chamber.
Being in Italy I DID mean grape vines, being a veterinarian I know grapes can cause kidney damage to some dogs (but here there are vineyards as far as the eye can see, they all have dogs about and no e are dropping dead), dogs anyaway never have access to the aviary. My issue is that in March -April they still have next to no greenery on them, the rushes (Typha) the same have not had time to re-grow that tall so what plants can I put to give cover to the nest boxes?
Ciao

Last edited:
I actually had the answer just growing a few yards away but the thought had not crossed my brain cell! Evergreen non toxic vigorous climber = Honeysuckle! I will probably send for the hardier varieties like Henry's and Winter Honeysuckle

Back
Top Bottom