Mandarin Duck and Wood Duck Pre-sale

MGG

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Feb 7, 2020
I have a number of Mandarin ducks and wood ducks available. They're all standard color but very good quality. Some of the mandarins may be split to white as I hatched four white ducklings from my standard colored pairs this year.
My birds are all very good quality and have a large roomy pen. The wood ducks are all toe clipped or seamless metal banded.
Birds can be picked up in South Dakota or shipped USPS come fall when it cools off.
Prices are $200 a pair plus shipping for both species. Please reply here or PM me if you're interested and want to be added to my list. Include contact info in case I can't reach you on here.
Thanks!
_MG_8144.JPG
_MG_5317.JPG~2.jpg
_MG_8181.JPG~3.jpg

_MG_7394.JPG~4.jpg
_MG_7881.JPG
_MG_6994.jpeg~3.jpg
_MG_8115.JPG~3.jpg
_MG_8286.JPG
IMG_20230609_161835477~3.jpg
IMG_20230627_103312501_HDR~2.jpg

Waterfowl Sale and Disposal Permit Number :
MBPER0042708

I’m Intrested please e-mail me to buy a pair [email protected]
Welcome to BYC!
Are you interested in wood ducks or mandarins? I'm trying to keep all BYC sales in my PMs so if you could private message me instead with more info that would be great.
Have you kept exotic ducks before?

I have a number of Mandarin ducks and wood ducks available. They're all standard color but very good quality. Some of the mandarins may be split to white as I hatched four white ducklings from my standard colored pairs this year.
My birds are all very good quality and have a large roomy pen. The wood ducks are all toe clipped or seamless metal banded.
Birds can be picked up in South Dakota or shipped USPS come fall when it cools off.
Prices are $200 a pair plus shipping for both species. Please reply here or PM me if you're interested and want to be added to my list. Include contact info in case I can't reach you on here.
Thanks!
View attachment 3581125View attachment 3581124View attachment 3581123
View attachment 3581126View attachment 3581130View attachment 3581127View attachment 3581131View attachment 3581132View attachment 3581135View attachment 3581134

MBPER0042708
I'm late seeing this post, do you have any Mandarin Ducks left available? Thanks! Crystal Cell: 425-830-4471

I'm late seeing this post, do you have any Mandarin Ducks left available? Thanks! Crystal Cell: 425-830-4471
Hi, yes I do. How many are you interested in?
Do you have an aviary and have you kept exotic ducks before?

Hi, yes I do. How many are you interested in?
Do you have an aviary and have you kept exotic ducks before?
Awww, amazing how a few hours make a difference, I have been building my Aviary since late April and just finished and have been looking for mandarin ducks for months. In those months I put myself on every single waiting list I could Possibly find. After I saw and responded to yours, a few hours later one of the other farms notified me they were ready to sell, so unfortunately I bought two sets from them. No, unfortunately I have not kept exotic ducks before, just regular ones, so even though I have read a lot about them, I know I don't know anything about them. I do have Mazzuri waterfowl food on hand, I have regular ducks, so I have their duck food on hand, I raise Panther Chameleons so I have lots of bugs on hand. I have quail so I have a lot of fresh birdseeds on hand. I purchased wood duck houses at Tractor Supply. The cage actually has a real live tree branch inside the cage, still connected to the oak tree outside the pen shading the pen. That large oak branch is over a 100 gallon plastic pond, which I am still trying to figure out how to best keep it sanitary, I am thinking of doing the biological filtration process in which I have a bin outside the cage with water from it flowing in, but I got to fix that better. (the pen is empty so nothing but the elements are affecting the pond at the moment.) The pen also has some live low lying grasses and plants as well as logs to fly up on. Any advice you can give me on Mandarin ducks would be greatly appreciated, my pen is 10ft x 20ft and 6.5ft high, so I think I am maxed at 4 ducks (2 pairs)? I am so sorry, I didn't think I would be able to obtain ducks from the time I emailed you to the time I got the opportunity to purchase some, since It had been sooooo long waiting and waiting. Thanks again for the opportunity.

Awww, amazing how a few hours make a difference, I have been building my Aviary since late April and just finished and have been looking for mandarin ducks for months. In those months I put myself on every single waiting list I could Possibly find. After I saw and responded to yours, a few hours later one of the other farms notified me they were ready to sell, so unfortunately I bought two sets from them. No, unfortunately I have not kept exotic ducks before, just regular ones, so even though I have read a lot about them, I know I don't know anything about them. I do have Mazzuri waterfowl food on hand, I have regular ducks, so I have their duck food on hand, I raise Panther Chameleons so I have lots of bugs on hand. I have quail so I have a lot of fresh birdseeds on hand. I purchased wood duck houses at Tractor Supply. The cage actually has a real live tree branch inside the cage, still connected to the oak tree outside the pen shading the pen. That large oak branch is over a 100 gallon plastic pond, which I am still trying to figure out how to best keep it sanitary, I am thinking of doing the biological filtration process in which I have a bin outside the cage with water from it flowing in, but I got to fix that better. (the pen is empty so nothing but the elements are affecting the pond at the moment.) The pen also has some live low lying grasses and plants as well as logs to fly up on. Any advice you can give me on Mandarin ducks would be greatly appreciated, my pen is 10ft x 20ft and 6.5ft high, so I think I am maxed at 4 ducks (2 pairs)? I am so sorry, I didn't think I would be able to obtain ducks from the time I emailed you to the time I got the opportunity to purchase some, since It had been sooooo long waiting and waiting. Thanks again for the opportunity.
No worries!
What is your pond like? If you have access to a well that works the best, you can have a hose running slowly in the pond all the time and a overflow drain that drains out to a pond or ditch.
With mine I'm on city water so I just drain and refill my pond once a week or so, in the winter I can get by with once a month. I have never found a filter that could keep up with the poop and feathers at all. It's just too much.
Is your pen fully secure? If you're getting juvenile birds it's best to clip their wings when you first get them unless they're wing pinioned, to prevent them from flying into the sides of your pen and hurting themselves. The feathers will grow back the next time they molt by which time they'll be totally acclimated to your pen and will be fine to fly in there. I don't like to pinion mine since they have to fly up to their nest boxes in the spring, pinioned birds need a tall ramp or ladder.
Mazuri feeds are great and two pairs shouldn't go through it too fast. Exotic ducks eat almost nothing compared to domestics. I'm feeding 100 adult ducks and around 100 ducklings with one 50 lb bag of feed a week. That's only around 25 lbs. for 100 birds.
Don't give them treats unless they're healthy ones, and only occasionally. They need a fully balanced diet so I only give mealworms and catfish food as treats, and only once or twice a week. You should only ever need Mazuri maintenance and Mazuri breeder, I switch to breeder in March and continue through June or whenever they stop laying. After that I switch back to maintenance. The Mazuri starter works well for raising the ducklings.
They're pretty easy as far as exotic ducks go but very different from domestics. Though much better, imo. They never get as friendly as domestics, the closest you'll get is they might eat out of your hand after lots and lots of tempting. They should also never be kept around domestic ducks or any other domestic breeds of birds.
Good luck with them!

No worries!
What is your pond like? If you have access to a well that works the best, you can have a hose running slowly in the pond all the time and a overflow drain that drains out to a pond or ditch.
With mine I'm on city water so I just drain and refill my pond once a week or so, in the winter I can get by with once a month. I have never found a filter that could keep up with the poop and feathers at all. It's just too much.
Is your pen fully secure? If you're getting juvenile birds it's best to clip their wings when you first get them unless they're wing pinioned, to prevent them from flying into the sides of your pen and hurting themselves. The feathers will grow back the next time they molt by which time they'll be totally acclimated to your pen and will be fine to fly in there. I don't like to pinion mine since they have to fly up to their nest boxes in the spring, pinioned birds need a tall ramp or ladder.
Mazuri feeds are great and two pairs shouldn't go through it too fast. Exotic ducks eat almost nothing compared to domestics. I'm feeding 100 adult ducks and around 100 ducklings with one 50 lb bag of feed a week. That's only around 25 lbs. for 100 birds.
Don't give them treats unless they're healthy ones, and only occasionally. They need a fully balanced diet so I only give mealworms and catfish food as treats, and only once or twice a week. You should only ever need Mazuri maintenance and Mazuri breeder, I switch to breeder in March and continue through June or whenever they stop laying. After that I switch back to maintenance. The Mazuri starter works well for raising the ducklings.
They're pretty easy as far as exotic ducks go but very different from domestics. Though much better, imo. They never get as friendly as domestics, the closest you'll get is they might eat out of your hand after lots and lots of tempting. They should also never be kept around domestic ducks or any other domestic breeds of birds.
Good luck with them!

Wow thank you for all the great food advice!! And yes we are also on a well, so that is an excellent idea for keeping the pond clean, I have a polyethene hard pond liner I picked up at Lowes in which I drilled a hole towards the bottom and installed PVC pipe and a valve for drainage, but that doesn't work so well in Florida during the rainy season I am finding out! As far as predators, I have game camera's up to see what I am dealing with. So far lots of Racoons, a young male bobcat and a little opossum have been roaming the property. The Mandarin pen is built on top of hardwire on the ground then it has three layers of wire on all sides and the roof area, chicken wire, then 2x4 squared farm fencing, with 1/2" green coated hardware cloth on top, including the roof. Then the bottom of the cage is cemented all around the outside. I have an electric Poultry fence in the box that I haven't put up yet I was going to use around the perimeter of the Pen when the ducks are actually in there. I know raccoons are smart and persistent, so I have traps that I am going to put in between the electric poultry fence and the actual pen that are not even baited, as the ducks are the bait, (this actually works) so if the raccoon breaks through the electric perimeter barrier it's game over. (I had to do that with my regular ducks and so far it's working well, but I don't discredit that I've solved the problem, I'm sure it's going to be an ongoing battle of adjustments.) I have chickens and regular ducks on the property, but they are each in their own area of land and separate Pen, (they are on 1.5 acres so they have space between them) Thanks again for all the excellent advice! I hope a year from now I will be able to help some "newbee" learning the ropes of Mandarin duck keeping!

Thanks!
View attachment 3581125View attachment 3581124View attachment 3581123
View attachment 3581126View attachment 3581130View attachment 3581127View attachment 3581131View attachment 3581132View attachment 3581135View attachment 3581134

MBPER0042708

Wow thank you for all the great food advice!! And yes we are also on a well, so that is an excellent idea for keeping the pond clean, I have a polyethene hard pond liner I picked up at Lowes in which I drilled a hole towards the bottom and installed PVC pipe and a valve for drainage, but that doesn't work so well in Florida during the rainy season I am finding out! As far as predators, I have game camera's up to see what I am dealing with. So far lots of Racoons, a young male bobcat and a little opossum have been roaming the property. The Mandarin pen is built on top of hardwire on the ground then it has three layers of wire on all sides and the roof area, chicken wire, then 2x4 squared farm fencing, with 1/2" green coated hardware cloth on top, including the roof. Then the bottom of the cage is cemented all around the outside. I have an electric Poultry fence in the box that I haven't put up yet I was going to use around the perimeter of the Pen when the ducks are actually in there. I know raccoons are smart and persistent, so I have traps that I am going to put in between the electric poultry fence and the actual pen that are not even baited, as the ducks are the bait, (this actually works) so if the raccoon breaks through the electric perimeter barrier it's game over. (I had to do that with my regular ducks and so far it's working well, but I don't discredit that I've solved the problem, I'm sure it's going to be an ongoing battle of adjustments.) I have chickens and regular ducks on the property, but they are each in their own area of land and separate Pen, (they are on 1.5 acres so they have space between them) Thanks again for all the excellent advice! I hope a year from now I will be able to help some "newbee" learning the ropes of Mandarin duck keeping!
Still have mandarin female ducks for sale? I also need a pair of wood duck too. I m in california. Pls PM me. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom