Question for experienced mixed aviary keepers.

Big Cluck

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2015
Worcester county, Ma.
So, I am pondering building an approximately 180sq ft aviary primarily to house 4-6 ornamental ducks, ring teal, Mandarin possibly wood duck. I intend it to have several small ponds, a mulberry tree, ornamental grasses and other plants.... I (while Im hearing*not recommended*) am wondering, are there any types of song bird or parakeet that is cold hardy, who may peacefully co exist with these types of ducks if I were able to provide perching and fresh water sources aside from the ponds.
I have been having trouble finding information on this.

hardy softbills are thin on the ground since in the US you can't keep many of them and most people keep the more tropical species anyway. I agree with ringneck doves being a good neighbor just make sure everyone has seperate feeeding stations .

What types of birds do you keep?
I've kept representatives of most of the passerines but finches at some point or another. I've found doves tend to stick to the higher areas and pheasants/quail stay on the ground. Since they inhabit diffferent "zones" you don't have as much conflict.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but my mandarins are vicious a-holes. I also saw a video on YouTube where a guy made an aviary the size of of something you would see at a zoo and not long after he released a pair of mandarins, one was drowning a bird that came down to drink. I think whatever you put in there with them, will spend their entire existence looking over their shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom