How long on Chick Starter?

So,
Thanks everyone for all the answers. Here’s what I’ve got so far…

8 weeks - happychicken
8 weeks - TXmom
8 weeks - blueseal
8 weeks - TechEdFireman
10 weeks - mazdacrzy
10 weeks - WalkingWolf
10 weeks - colby318
18-20 - hinkjc
until they lay (20-22 weeks) - BrackenFarms
until they lay (20-22 weeks) - hooksetz

It looks like 8-10 weeks wins!!
celebrate.gif

Seriously though, my secondary question is; if I start them on developer too soon, will they mature too quickly, and does that affect their egg size? (My farm store has 3 types of feed; chick starter, poultry developer, and laying formula for just before and after they lay)

Thanks all!
Marty

Developer usually has less protein in it and costs less than starter. Some places have starter and grower separate, and some have them as an all in one formulation. I'd just do what's on the bag, and if it's inconvenient, do what is most convenient. I switch to grower when ever the first bag runs out, or switch to layer if that's closer in time.

I use medicated Starter up to 8 weeks.
Grower Crumbles or pellets from 8 weeks until you get your first egg.
Layer from first egg on.

If I use medicated Starter/Grower I feed it to the birds until I get my first egg then I switch over to Layer. If I have any Starter/Grower or Grower left over when I get my first egg I mix in the leftover feed with the Layer feed. I have never had any problems.

Last edited:
Quote:
I stop using started BEFORE they start laying, main reason I do not want to eat eggs from birds eating medicated starter.

Kind of personal bios or precaution.

Back
Top Bottom