how long should chicks be up for?

mooSa

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
I was wondering, should i keep the light on longer into the night so they can eat more to grow? Or is it bad to keep them up too long? and if I can keep them up, how long? my chicks are 11 days old now

Just leave the light on constantly. That's what I do.
hmm.png

I used a ceramic bulb that provided heat not light. That I left on around the clock, of course. Natural light from the windows gave the chicks a normal day/night cycle. And unlike puppies, my chicks slept quietly through the night.

well if i keep it on, the whole room stay lit up 24 hours.... and isnt that too tiring for them? i mean dont baby's need sleep?

I have heard of problems with having a bright light on chicks all the time but never personally experienced them. I think it is neccesary for chicks to be able to sleep at night without a light disturbing them but on the other hand they need to have heat so you can't just turn off their source without replacing it, especially overnight when it gets the coldest. I also use a cermic bulb which emits heat but no light, red lights are also supposed to work well without disturbing their sleep cycle. I am sure people have used regular light bulbs and left them on all the time without major problems, just like chicks have survived without the proper heat, and who knows what the consequances really are? I try to mimic nature as closely as possible though to insure the healthiest, fastest growing babies
jumpy.gif

I have dual 250watt red heat lights (on dimmers to control temp) on around the clock because I have a large brooder.

My chicks are mild tempered and sleep at will. I hear lots of comments in both directions regarding standard lights. Some have no problems, some do. However, I can't say I've seen a single negative comment regarding well secured red heat lights.

If you need the heat source, you should leave the light on 24/7
If the chicks are warm enough, turn out the light at night when you go to bed.
This will get them accustomed to moving into their coop later on.

Back
Top Bottom