How long should hen be broody before I give her chicks?

Sorry for my misread about removal. I still would not introduce purchased chicks at time of pip. In my experience, simply too risky for the eggs in a tender stage. That's when I have the most violent reaction from the hen as she is very protective during hatching. She does NOT want to be disturbed. Anything is seen as a threat.

I have introduced day old chicks after the hatched chicks have fully dried and fluffed. Mom has very poor math, and what's a few more.

But again, my personal experience with feed store, artificially brooded and hatched chicks, is that they won't stay with the mother well, even loving. I've always had at least one of the fosters wander off and had to keep reintroducing the fosters while the hatched are happy as clams.

I've also had transition stress set in with feed store chicks transitioning to a broody hen and the difference of elements.

But that's been my experience in my damp weather which can have a quick chill factor on chicks. Some have great experiences fostering.

OP has decided for fertilized eggs, which we gave options and discussion. The point of the thread.

LofMc
"...my personal experience with... artificially brooded and hatched chicks, is that they won't stay with the mother well... I've always had at least one of the fosters wander off and had to keep reintroducing the fosters while the hatched are happy as clams."
Interesting. I've had the opposite experience. I've introduced chicks to my broody hen on 3 separate occasions and they all stayed under her straight away. At night there aren't any places to wander off to, and during the day they stayed "glued" to her. The last chick I introduced was over two weeks old, a Cream Legbar girl (same age as the ones with broody)! I sold some chicks that same day, and thanks to broody limited maths abilities, there was no dramas. My fear was if the broody wouldn't accept her, but she did. Chick was a bit lost on the first day, didn't know the place, didn't recognise broody calling for food, but she soon learned with the others. One happy family now.

Attachments

• 20220329_133735.jpg
    20220329_133735.jpg
    757.9 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom