How long should i keep em penned?

What do your facilities look like? Do you have them locked in a coop only or are they in a coop + run? Any way to trap that last one? That one may lead the others astray. I assume they are all adults?

I don't think there is a magic number where you get any guarantees. If you have them locked in a coop + run, where are they sleeping? I'd want to feel really comfortable they are going into the coop to sleep on their own from the run before I let them free range. At least a week of that behavior so train them to sleep in the coop. That week might not be enough. If they are locked in the coop only I'd say at least two weeks. Two weeks is just a number I pulled out of the air, no real reasoning to back it up.

Are they laying eggs? Part of this should be to train them to lay in the coop instead of hiding a nest outside. That means locking them in the coop or coop + run until they are laying in the same nest every day.

How many roosters in each flock? If you have multiple roosters this could get challenging. Or if the one still loose is a rooster that could cause issues.

I can't give any guarantees with any living animals and behaviors, about anything can happen. This one feels like one you have to try something and see what happens. I'd go slow.

8x8 coop and 25x25 run.
They are going in coop at night and roosting on highest roost. Laying, in nest. No longer pacing pens trying to escape.
my flock has 1 rooster 2 layers and 3 feral 12 10 week old pullets.
Would a live trap work on remaining feral?
I lucked out catching the other 2, mine were all in coop, so i closed tunnel to run, scattered feed and scratch,and left main door open, within 15 minutes they were in run eating, I closed gate. They've been coop/run for 3 weeks.
I may try that with remaining feral.
Loose feral is female. Rest of feral flock has disappeared, stray (dumped) dog has been eating well, both feral roosters are not seen, and 2 of my flock have gone missing. I haven't been able to dispose of dog.

Excuse the mess-work in progress. Installed another roost in coop so they now have 20 ft in coop and another 20+ ft of perch in run.

Attachments

• 20220920_141026.jpg
    20220920_141026.jpg
    743.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220815_091852.jpg
    20220815_091852.jpg
    831.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220815_091846.jpg
    20220815_091846.jpg
    789.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220815_091802.jpg
    20220815_091802.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 16637123641075177343718356891832.jpg
    16637123641075177343718356891832.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
  • 16637123963157438098119107173586.jpg
    16637123963157438098119107173586.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
Good luck on the dog. I've lost three times as many chickens to dumped dogs as I have to all other predators combined. I don't like people that dump dogs.

That's a nice set-up. In your climate they should be able to be outside practically all day every day which makes it easier.

If you can lure the feral into the run like you did the others, that is possibly the easiest way. I'd try scattering scratch or some type of treat near the gate to get it used to coming in that area. I'd set that live trap in that area and bait it too. Maybe once it is used to eating in that area just put the bait in the live trap, not scattered. You never know what will work.

If it were not for the feral I'd think three weeks with them laying and roosting in the coop would be enough to try. That feral worries me. I think all of them being female except for your tame rooster is in your favor too. It could work to just let them all start free ranging now. It's possible that single feral will follow the others back in at night but it's also very possible it will go off by itself at dark and not follow the others. It could even bring the others with it.

Good luck on the dog. I've lost three times as many chickens to dumped dogs as I have to all other predators combined. I don't like people that dump dogs.

That's a nice set-up. In your climate they should be able to be outside practically all day every day which makes it easier.

If you can lure the feral into the run like you did the others, that is possibly the easiest way. I'd try scattering scratch or some type of treat near the gate to get it used to coming in that area. I'd set that live trap in that area and bait it too. Maybe once it is used to eating in that area just put the bait in the live trap, not scattered. You never know what will work.

If it were not for the feral I'd think three weeks with them laying and roosting in the coop would be enough to try. That feral worries me. I think all of them being female except for your tame rooster is in your favor too. It could work to just let them all start free ranging now. It's possible that single feral will follow the others back in at night but it's also very possible it will go off by itself at dark and not follow the others. It could even bring the others with it.
Wellness I penned all the birds in coop, closed tunnel so I could do some work in the run. Took out a MAT of pine needles that wasn't breaking down, and raked in some grass clippings.
Took pine to burn pile, came back, and feral was in run.
I CLOSED GATE! SHES PENNED!!
opened tunnel and let em all play.

Back
Top Bottom