How long should I keep the roo inside?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tori8780, Jan 25, 2014.

1. tori8780

tori8780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    We brought our rooster in last week due to severe frostbite and infection. His wattles had gotten extremely swollen and warm. He's doing much better now, all swelling and heat has gone away. I'm wondering when I can put him back out with the flock? Here is a picture of him today. [​IMG]

I will say that it is supposed to be very cold for the next week (single to below zero). I'm worried the frostbite will just continue to spread. My other rooster and none of my large combed hens have any frostbite, not sure why he's getting it so bad :(

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    thats a pretty bad case. the problem i have heard of not experienced is moving them to the warm then back to cold again. its like they have to get used to it all over again. i would at least wait till this below temps. eases up. poor guy.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would wait until it gets warmer, as it would probably shock him to go from a warm house to really cold temperatures. More isolation will also help make sure he is fully healed, and allow him to regain any strength he's lost due to the frostbite. It is likely that he will lose most of the frostbitten area, but I guess you'll have to see. Good luck!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree. If you put him back out in the coop and its still really cold, he may get more frostbite.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You can always put him out during the day if it's above freezing, and bring him in at night.

6. tori8780

tori8780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2012
    It's been in between 0 and 15 daily. I will start doing that when it warms up though. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by