How long should I let her sit? UPDATE!!! One hatched!!!

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
I have a broody OEGB sitting on two of her eggs. Not exactly sure when they should hatch, but I candled them three nights ago and they looked pretty full. Should I check them again, or just pull them out and toss them? There wasn't much room in the egg, just the air cell and I couldn't see movement. I hate to toss them if they're viable, but it seems like it's been forever since she started sitting.

Last edited:

Bloomie

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
Rural Nevada
Quote:Howdy,
I'm inna kinda the same perdicament.....have one egg that should've hatched last Wednesday, if my calculations were correct......heard a peep Thursday but nothing happened so far.
tried candling today and caint see a darn thing.
Found 2 more eggs under a couple other hens, and candling shows they're fertile......if I even did that right

Be looking for any response ya get.

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
Well, one hatched! She was looking roough today and that's why I posted. One beautiful, fuzzy, perfect Silkie baby! There is one more egg that is a mix of a white Silkie roo and the Barred OEGB. I have two that I hatched, can't wait to see this one, if it hatches!
:woot

Bloomie

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
Rural Nevada
Quote:WOOOHOOO!

I was reading another post where a gal thought her eggs weren't gunna hatch after 23 days, and tossed them in the compost pile...but 3 days after tossin' them she discovered a chick hatched.
One person's reply stressed "patience".....so patient I will try to be for another day or 2.

Top Bottom