How long should I wait until I separate a mother hen her chicks?

LeghornGuy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
New Orleans
My two leghorn hens successfully hatched chicks.
The chicks are six weeks old.

How long should wait until I separate the mother from her chicks?

The mother hens lost a lot of weight and their combs are not rosie red. The hens are great mothers.

I live in the city and my yard space is very limited especially to free-range my adult hens and new additions.

I want to separate the mother hens from their chicks and put all the chicks in one large pen.

How long should I wait? I am concerned! I do not want to have two separate pens for baby chicks.
I want raise the chicks as one flock. I dont want the chicks to fight each other

You suggestions and comments are welcomed

Last edited:
My yard space is limited and pen space is also limited. I let the two mother hens and their chicks free range while I am in the yard. They run all over the yard and the mother hens are not social with other hens or each other.

Also, the other hens in the run-coop seem to be aggressive towards the mothers and their chicks.

I am concerned the older hens in the run-coop will not accept the younger pullets/roosters in four or five months from now. I dont want to overcroud the run-coop. I currently 12 hens in the run-coop.
One mother hen has 9 chicks and the other mother hen has 6 chicks
I was thinking about constructing second a new run-coop for my new chicks. That way, I would have a pen for the "golden girls" and a teenager pen.

Last edited:
My mother hens got aggressive towards the chicks at around 6 weeks, & actually pecked them & fought with them. I separated them. Even now they fight when too close.

Back
Top Bottom