How Long Should I wait??

bowlofcherries

Chirping
Jan 30, 2011
We started some eggs 21 days ago - keeping a close eye on the temp (99.5) and the humidity and we did turn 3 times a day - this was a project with my kids and nothing has happened yet. How long after the 21 days should we leave eggs in the incubator to see if something might happen? (these were bantam eggs and they were shipped to us) I am hoping some of you experienced folks may have an answer for us - my kids are getting pretty disappointed!

welcome-byc.gif
They can be a few days late, did you candle them before lockdown?
smile.png

Last edited:
Yes we did and some we could see right through and others were darker and we assumed those would be the ones - but this is our first time!!

Well I would say that the "clears" will not hatch. Did you leave them in the incubator? If you did, it won't cause any problems. On the dark ones, did the egg look like it was mainly all dark except the air cell? Here is a link that shows candling pictures that might help. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261876 On my first hatch, mine were late hatching because my temps were lower than I thought they were. My last one hatched on day 24 or 25. Since today is only day 22 I would not worry too much yet. Just keep waiting. Good luck!

I did leave the ones that were clear in the incubator as we are new to this and figured it wouldn't hurt any to leave them - thank you for the link - the pictures on there were great. I think if we do this again I will check those pics first and then do my candling so I have a real idea of what I am looking for. Maybe our temp was low but we used the thermometer that came with the incubator (a mercury one) and then my husband bought a thermometer & humidity gauge thing at the hardware store (it was a cheap one) - we used the mercury one for the temp because I thought it would be accurate. We will wait and hope something does happen. thanks

Back
Top Bottom