How long should it take for a BO to lay full size eggs?

Leslie in Suffolk VA

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2018
I have had several small flocks of various breed pet chickens over the years, and this time I have four Buff Orpington pullets purchased at a chicken swap Nov 25 last year. Two weeks ago the smallest, lightest colored pullet, with comb and wattles just beginning to redden, surprised us with a light brown egg not much bigger than the ones laid by bantams I've had in the past. 2"long, but about one third the weight of the XL eggs I get from my two year old red sex link. The "BO" lays every other day but the eggs are still the same size. Never before has a full size hen of mine laid such small eggs so long. The seller said all he grows are BOs - but could I have flim-flammed? Could this hen's daddy be a bantam? My chickens get layer mash, clean water and lots of greens, and are kept in a clean coop with a wire run.

welcometoBYC.jpeg

Welcome to Backyard chickens!

It can take a couple of months for the eggs to get a big as they will get for the first year. The eggs will often be bigger after the first adult molt.

View attachment 1295120

Welcome to Backyard chickens!

It can take a couple of months for the eggs to get a big as they will get for the first year. The eggs will often be bigger after the first adult molt.
Agreed. Didn't know that could be normal. My BO's didn't develop like that. Good to know. Thank you, BYC educator :hugs

Back
Top Bottom