How long should "Lock Down" be?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CoopDeViIIe, Sep 11, 2012.

1. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    I just moved my chicks from the brooder to their new coop outside and put them in what I am calling "Lock Down" time, where I am keeping them locked in the coop as they transition. I've read various opinions on how long to keep them in there before letting them out from 2 days to over a week. Today will be the 3rd day they are on Lock Down, when do you think I should let them out?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have never done lockdown, but a week would be safe, you could let them out now. Where are you letting them out to? Free range or a run?

3. CoopDeViIIe

CoopDeViIIe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2012
    A little bit of both. I have a fenced backyard so they can free range at times, but am also in the process of building a covered run so they can be safe from predators when I am not home.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd let them out personally, but it's up to you. I've never had one run away. My flock free ranged from the day they moved in. We moved to a new location in April, and all went to bed in the right place. I don't have a popdoor or a ramp, so that could help me.

I'd let them out. They won't run away. You just may have to show them where to go to bed. They may roost outdoors.

5. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    put them in a covered pen and let them play!

6. Happy Camper

Happy Camper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2012
    Puerto Rico
    HOW OLD ARE THEY?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by