how long should recovery take after worming?

BlkBrd

Hatching
Aug 24, 2023
Hi everyone, two weeks ago I noticed one of my adult hens had diarrhea. She seemed just fine so I decided to just keep an eye on her. A week ago I noticed worms in their poop. I treated with the first five day round of fenbendazole for all the birds (two 18 month old barred rocks, one 3 month old game hen). How long should it take for her poop to return to normal? I started worming on the 18th. She seems just fine, eating, running around, but still with the sloppy poop. Also laying is normal. The other hens have no symptoms.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi everyone, two weeks ago I noticed one of my adult hens had diarrhea. She seemed just fine so I decided to just keep an eye on her. A week ago I noticed worms in their poop. I treated with the first five day round of fenbendazole for all the birds (two 18 month old barred rocks, one 3 month old game hen). How long should it take for her poop to return to normal? I started worming on the 18th. She seems just fine, eating, running around, but still with the sloppy poop. Also laying is normal. The other hens have no symptoms.

Thanks for any advice.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of her and her poop?
Were you able to identify the worms - were they roundworms, tapeworms?

What dose of Fenbendazole did you give? If treated for 5 days, there is no follow up round.

Loose poop can be from drinking a lot of water, diet, etc. so consider what your weather is like, if she's drinking a lot that would make the poop more loose.

I should have mentioned that before worming the concerning droppings were orangish and a little foamy, and after the worming they look like "normal" chicken droppings, only very watery. The worms I saw were not tape worms, they were small and thin--hard to see detail beyond that they were in there squirming. The second day after worming there occasionally were large (an inch maybe?) dead white worms in the poop. They are eating start/grow, a little scratch and meal worms as treats and oyster shell free choice. My other hens have very normal looking poop.

I dossed with pancur .25 ml per lb

Back
Top Bottom