How long should roots be for 12 chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by eggcited2, Aug 16, 2010.

1. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    Ok, here are the roost figures at this time: the roost will be made of 2x4 lumber (with the 4 inch side up for them to set on). How long do the 2x4's need to be. Not how high, nor how far away from the walls, but how long for them to set on. Four feet long per perch, six feet long per perch, or what? I have 11 chickens: wellsummer, red star, cuckoo marans, partridge rock. One of them is a roo and all rest pullets.

The first roost height will be 21 inches tall and 24 inches out from the wall.

The second roost will be 36 inches tall and 18 inches out from the wall.

See crude drawing below:

l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l
    l---------------18" out from wall
    l ^
    l 36 inches tall
    l
    l -------------------------- 24 inches out from wall
    l ^
    l 21 inches tall
    l__________________________________________________ floor of chicken house

2. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I just figure 12-16 inches per bird depending on breed. Then add an extra roost or two for future use and free choice.

Good Luck and God Bless!

3. Heather08

Heather08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Florida
    no matter how big you make it they are going to roost on about 3 inches of space lol..they are silly mine all clump up in a big chicken ball on the roost.

4. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    OH yeah! and I love the 2 chickens and 9 eggs in 1 nest box out of 16! LOL

5. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    Quote:LOL - mine too!

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I would use two 8' long 2x4's. That gives them 16 feet which I find sufficient for 20 birds currently. But at least it gives everyone choices and the crowding / feather picking shouldn't be a problem.

7. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i used 3 2x4 8ftlong mine is wall to wall 2 of them are about 6 ft and part 2ft and 1 4ft high off the floor for my tens birds 7 birds sit up on the 2 6ft off the ground and my other 3 birds sit on the 4ft high perch. i belive that my BO cannot fly to 6ft rooster you can see my perches on my page

8. MakNugget

MakNugget Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Quote:Exactly. Last night they all had to be in The Spot. The RIR wasn't budging, and the BA wanted it so her solution was to put one foot on the back of the RIR and slowly add weight until she shuffled enough to get the other foot in place.

My crude set up below. I have 2.5 roosts, all 2x4's laying flat at different heights, and run the dimensions of the coop which is roughly 5x4'. The top most is the highest where they like to sleep during the night. The second roost is lower, perpendicular to the top, and I have the half roost even lower, parallel to the second. During they day they take naps on the second roost, and take occasional breaks on the half roost. The top roost is sometimes a catwalk since it sits along the window.

S = where they like to sit
    + = ramp

SSSSSS-----------------
    +
    !
    !
    !
    ! ++++ S
    S S
    S S
    ! S

9. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    I have 24' of roosts - three 8' 2x6s. And here is how they roost:
    [​IMG]

Go figure! [​IMG]

10. flowerfaerie1

flowerfaerie1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2010
    Auburn, CA
    I think our pole is 8 feet long and we have 11 chickens. They all squeeze up there even though there is another pole to roost on a little lower. Since the girls have been getting heavier and heavier, their jumping up there loosened the nail on either side and started to allow the pole to turn. Nothing is funnier than them all getting settled, one more gets up and sets the pole turning - bwaaaakk!!! LOL, feathers a flying! It was also bowing heavily in the middle. My husband finally fixed it and put a supporting pole in the middle. No more spinning birds, but I can still laugh about it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by