How long staying in the incubator?

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
How long do you leave the chicks in the incubator before you take them out and put them in the brooder? I have been taking them out a few minutes after they hatch and they are not quite dry yet, but I think opening the incubator too often is hindering my other eggs and keeping them from hatching. What is the rule of thumb on that?

You should try to leave them in there until they are dry completely, or until the hatch is complete. Do whichever is the longest. Opening the bator can compromise the rest of the hatch, and getting the little fella out while still wet can cause it to get a chill. They can go without food and water for up to 3 days.

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. It is hard to keep my hands out, but now I know they will be better off if I do, I won't mess with them.
Thanks!!

L&Schickens :

Thank you so much. That is very helpful. It is hard to keep my hands out, but now I know they will be better off if I do, I won't mess with them.
Thanks!!

I did that as well with my first couple of hatches. Well I probably still do it, though not as much
wink.png

I didn't lose any chicks, but I have had to help a few whose membranes had gotten too dry.​

The only problem with that is they set the eggs when they want to, and they can only hold so many
wink.png

BTW- OEG hens are just as good, if not better than silkies, plus they're bigger, and will go broody all year long!

I just had 3 Delawares to hatch. After the first one hatched, I noticed after about 8 hours he started panting...he was too hot. So I did take him out, and I did actually put him back in after he started peeping VERY loudly. The other 2 still hatched just fine...no problems whatsoever. But my hatcher wasn't open more than a few seconds each time. Maybe I just got lucky. But I've seen hens stand up off the eggs during a hatch, so as long as it's very brief in opening the bator/hatcher, I think you're ok.

Last edited:
Thank you for the good info.
That is nice to know about OEG hens. I like them better then silkies any way!!
tongue.png
Guess I will have to keep my eye out for one or two.
wink.png

Yeah someone told me about them brooding anytime. I don't have any personal experience with that...but it is day 4 for my OEG hen, and it IS mid-October!!

<edit> Plus they're mean, so you know nothing is gonna get their babies!!

Last edited:
Chicks need to stay in the incubator until they are dry and fluffy. Wet chicks get chilled vey easily and that can be fatal.

They can remain in the bator up to 24 hours before you need to move them out.

Back
Top Bottom