1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Long Till Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I thought I knew most of what I needed to know, I log in and give advice all the time, and hopefully am correct some of the time!
    But I do have a question for those of you whose hens have been laying a while, mine have been giving me wonderful eggs
    for 3 weeks or so now, quite often I am still getting the huge double yolkers...I have 12 layers, and the other day got 12 eggs, so I know
    they are all laying...

Question: how long till they have the system running right? Last night I found a soft shelled egg again...can they go back to
    the beginning once they are laying great hard shelled eggs? I figure they can, but wondering when I can stop digging through the
    shavings, I don't want them eating any of these 'eggs'.

Thx!

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I do not have the answer, but thought I would give you a bump.
    Hope you find the answer you need.

3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    My RSL's first egg was a double yolker and for days after. Then it seemed she laid one every week for a couple months. She has finally evened her system out. I have only had 1 soft shell laid out of the nest....kind of a fart egg, the hens first. I actually saw it happen. It happened so fast even the hen looked at me with shocked eyes saying "what the hell was that!?" Then they ate it....LOL! I say, and I am also a first year chicken raiser/owner....that it just depends on the hen but I would say up to a few months! [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by