How Long Till Normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Sep 27, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I thought I knew most of what I needed to know, I log in and give advice all the time, and hopefully am correct some of the time!
    But I do have a question for those of you whose hens have been laying a while, mine have been giving me wonderful eggs
    for 3 weeks or so now, quite often I am still getting the huge double yolkers...I have 12 layers, and the other day got 12 eggs, so I know
    they are all laying...

Question: how long till they have the system running right? Last night I found a soft shelled egg again...can they go back to
    the beginning once they are laying great hard shelled eggs? I figure they can, but wondering when I can stop digging through the
    shavings, I don't want them eating any of these 'eggs'.

Thx!

2. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    I do not have the answer, but thought I would give you a bump.
    Hope you find the answer you need.

3. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    My RSL's first egg was a double yolker and for days after. Then it seemed she laid one every week for a couple months. She has finally evened her system out. I have only had 1 soft shell laid out of the nest....kind of a fart egg, the hens first. I actually saw it happen. It happened so fast even the hen looked at me with shocked eyes saying "what the hell was that!?" Then they ate it....LOL! I say, and I am also a first year chicken raiser/owner....that it just depends on the hen but I would say up to a few months! [​IMG] Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by