how long till on 20% protein

buckbuster

Hatching
Mar 3, 2016
-How long till butchering wt with 20% protein? (not sure on breed. got them free from school I work at. the only thing I know is they are broilers)
-what ball park weight am I aiming for?
Brad

P.S. If you cant tell i am new to the sight and new to raising chickens.

It really will depend on the breed, maybe see if anyone at the school knows. Cornish x can be butchering weight/size by 6-8 weeks, but even then it depends on how you manage them. If you leave food out 24/7 they will get bigger faster than if you feed at set times, but they may also get too big too fast and could potentially die of complications from that.
Red Rangers and Freedom rangers are second runners up, being butcher size by about 12 weeks.
Something like an Orpington, which can get large, will take 25 weeks to get that size. Of course you could butcher them younger so they are still technically broilers, but they would be rather small and scrawny.
Also, the terms Broiler, Fryer, Roaster, etc really all are actually ages
  • Broilers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old
  • Fryers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old
  • Roasters: Chickens less than 8 months old
  • Stewing Chickens: Chickens (usually hens) over 10 months old
But chickens marketed as broilers generally get larger, like 5lbs + by 6-8 weeks, where most chickens at broiler age are only 2 or so.

Last edited:
It really will depend on the breed, maybe see if anyone at the school knows. Cornish x can be butchering weight/size by 6-8 weeks, but even then it depends on how you manage them. If you leave food out 24/7 they will get bigger faster than if you feed at set times, but they may also get too big too fast and could potentially die of complications from that.
Red Rangers and Freedom rangers are second runners up, being butcher size by about 12 weeks.
Something like an Orpington, which can get large, will take 25 weeks to get that size. Of course you could butcher them younger so they are still technically broilers, but they would be rather small and scrawny.
Also, the terms Broiler, Fryer, Roaster, etc really all are actually ages
  • Broilers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old
  • Fryers: Chickens 6 to 8 weeks old
  • Roasters: Chickens less than 8 months old
  • Stewing Chickens: Chickens (usually hens) over 10 months old
But chickens marketed as broilers generally get larger, like 5lbs + by 6-8 weeks, where most chickens at broiler age are only 2 or so.
Feed chick feed and chick grit for couple weeks then Follow above but use meat feed which higher

You don't have to feed grit of they are confined and on a crumble or pellet feed, if you feed grains or grasses, free range then grit should be fed. If they are white when feathered out and grow very fast with a huge breast they're likely Cornish cross which is generally butchered around 8 weeks old, all the other broilers are a slower grower shooting for around 12 weeks to butcher. Roosters will generally be 4 to 6 lb carcasses at these ages, hens usually smaller. For me age dictates more than size, for Cornish cross if you keep them long they can start to die from fast growth, also all chickens get tougher and more flavorful the older they get, I'll sacrifice a little weight to have a bird that is still suitable for grilling and frying, I don't mind them being a little chewier but not super tough to the point it must be slow cooked

Back
Top Bottom