How long till Roos, act like Roos?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by veronica2368, Jul 26, 2010.

1. veronica2368

veronica2368 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    newville pa
    hello all, I have 3 lovely roosters that I have tried to find a home for, I think they still might have a home, I'm not sure yet, but in the meantime, I have them in one half of the coop and run with the other 6 hens they came with, that is shared with the grown girls that I have had for 2 years and 8 years. They see eachother all day long but cannot get in eachother rns, also the coop is separated.
    Hmm that sounds confusing...there are 10 hens on one side, and 3 roos and 6 hens on the other. there we go..lol
    Anyway, the roosters are big and so are the hens.....I thnik the hens are more then ready to join the other big hens..the roosters however are not going to get to come out to play with the girls.
    So far the roosters are not aggressive, is that something that slowly builds up? They are big boys, born in March...and one just started crowing about 3 weeks ago. If they are not aggressive now, do you think they will be? we got them when they were 8 weeks old. They have never beeen rude. They at this point don't seem to have an interest in the hens they live with, at least not that I have noticed. When does that start? Also, if I were to move the newer hens into the other side with the older hens, would the roosters be able to coexist with eachother like they do now? If there are no hens in their pen, would they fight? They don't now.
    Having rooster is new, we havent had any since I was a lot younger and then they were freerange chickens. Mine live in a henhouse attached to a run. the run is about 15 x 30 and it about to get a ittle wider...maybe 5 feet wider down the long side.
    any advice would be great! oh by the way te roos are 2 barrred rocks..one of which is crowing and is the biggest so far, and one RIR.
    Veronica

2. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Our Roos are 17wks and the nicest looking Barred Rock is already jumping hens, the Buff rock runs and knocks him off then chases him. It is just a matter of time till we have a full blown cock fight. They'll have to sort it out because they are both well formed and feathered. We have 3 other roos that don't facter in. 2 Barred that are pansies and a cochin that just goes Duh. They have all been together since day one.

3. shepherd

shepherd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    If the roosters become violent you may need to dispatch one or two. You only need one rooster for every 1-20 hens. But if they get along then it wouldnt be a problem. Theres no way to tell when the chickens will start mating or fighting every chicken is defferent in these factors. My 4 1/2 month old roosters fight all the time but the fights last, at most 30 seconds. As for the mating they try to every once in a while but they dont pull it off. With your chickens I bet they would sence you have older hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by